Steve Jobs' Reaction to MobileMe Launch, Life at Apple After Jobs and Other Anecdotes

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 7, 2011.

1. MacRumors, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2011

macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

MacStories details a new feature story from Fortune about Apple's management including a number of previously unknown anecdotes about Steve Jobs. The story is presently only available as an in-app purchase in the Fortune Magazine App [iTunes], but should appear online and in print shortly.

One interesting story is about Steve Jobs' reaction to the poor MobileMe rollout in 2008 which was marred with slow services and downtime.
    Jobs reportedly appointed a new executive on the spot to run the MobileMe team. Jobs reportedly appointed a new executive on the spot to run the MobileMe team. Another particularly interesting piece was the fact that Apple is actively planning and teaching its employees for "life at Apple after Jobs.":
    MacStories also summarizes some of the other anecdotes from the feature article.

Article Link: Steve Jobs' Reaction to MobileMe Launch and Other Anecdotes
  2. macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Jan 20, 2011
    I wish that picture was a bit bigger.
    Edit: still too small in the linked article.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2010
    click on it here:

oh woops, just saw ur edit
  4. macrumors newbie

May 7, 2011
    What do people expect?

If you arent an ******* then people and companies are going to run all over you. Look at bill gates and how he acted. It's unfortunate but Steve had a lot of pride in his company that he built from the late 70's.
  5. macrumors 601

Oct 24, 2007
    Seattle, Wa
    As a paying customer from the start of MobileMe, I find this incredibly amusing and wish I could've been in the room when this smack down was being hand delivered hot and fresh.
  6. macrumors member

Oct 17, 2003
    I'm on board ... I use MobileMe because it keeps everything in sync so nicely and easily ... but I would have loved to be a fly on that wall when Steve roasted the launch team.
  7. macrumors member

Jun 3, 2004
    It's been three years and MobileMe isn't much better. I still miss being able to access bookmarks remotely, a feature that was dropped when MobileMe was introduced.
  8. macrumors regular

Jan 24, 2010
  9. macrumors Core

Feb 9, 2008
    San Jose (CA)
    I like MobileMe and I do hope they improve on what it is now.
  10. macrumors regular

May 20, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I thought Jobs oversaw everything to the extent of it being OCD. The fact something he wasn't happy with was released into the wild was more an embarrasment to himself so took it out on the team.

What really is mobileme anyway? Is that a failure of marketing...
  11. macrumors 68040

Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Sure would have been entertaining. :)
  12. macrumors 601

Jun 27, 2007
    Central U.S.
    MobileMe has improved somewhat, but it still has plenty of room to improve. iDisk is often painful to use. Also MobileMe is a stupid name. It hasn't grown on me. I'm glad I got my first Mac in March 08 and had a free trial of .Mac. I was able to revive that account on MobileMe and use my address. But for the first few months I didn't realize I could do that, and I was embarrassed every time someone asked for my email address. They would always ask twice, questioning the goofy name I just told them.

What was that? At...

AT ME DOT COM! Can we just move on now?

I wish Apple would let me use my business email address on their servers.

As for the story about Job's reactions, it isn't exactly surprising. Should make for some juicy reading once it hits the web. I'll Instapaper this for later.
  13. macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    Talking to employees like that is a good way for them to leave. A company that treats employees badly get a reputation, unfortunately, larger companies get a way with it. For example, EA. But they can still hire because who they are.

Perhaps the MobileMe problems were further up the chain?

Sounds like Apple has a culture of blame. A kind of company any employee wants to avoid like the plague.
  14. macrumors 6502

Rustus Maximus

Jan 15, 2003
    One need only look at the past to find a possible future regarding what will happen at Apple without Jobs. Unless they find another leader with the same driven attitude, the same micro-managing zealotry, the same beautiful insanity that Jobs appears to sometimes suffer from, then I fear the future might look a lot like what happened before. A company slowly slipping into mediocrity on its way to oblivion.
  15. macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2010

Might be interesting to know that Podolny's expertise is on how firms can charge a premium when they position themselves strategically among high status collaborators --- obviously relevant to Apple's up-market niche. (See Podolny's book Status Signals). Podolny is very well respected among organizational scholars.
  16. macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2007
    I can't imagine what happened to the "Ping" team...
  17. macrumors G5

Feb 8, 2003
    The Peninsula
    The problem was at the top.

Oblivion - with a share price in the teens.

The simple fact that Apple is running training sessions about "Apple after Steve is dead" is really frightening - Apple's board should never have permitted the "Jobs personality cult" to become so strong that de-indoctrination sessions were necessary.
  18. macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    They were never heard from again! :D
  19. macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    Apple IS Jobs. We saw what happened to Apple when Jobs was ousted in the mid 80s. Apple continued to make superior products for the next few years, but by 10 years later Apple was really floundering. If Jobs leaves on his own terms this time, hopefully he'll be able to leave system in place that can keep Apple churning out products that are insanely great.
  20. macrumors 603

Oct 13, 2008
    Everywhere And Nowhere
  21. mdriftmeyer, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011

macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Horse crap. If you have to have your ass chewed to get motivated it's clear you didn't put your best effort into your projects. He takes all the heat for any decision that Apple makes and produces for his stock holders.

You think he's going to coach everyone up like a life coach or your best friend?

You think Google, MS, IBM, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc., don't do the same thing? If so, then you've never been in the trenches.

You either fold or focus. He is the best at getting people to focus and they have the lowest attrition rate in the industry.

From MacStories:

Every Friday we turned in our progress reports in QA at NeXT and later at Apple when I was in Professional Services.

When we stopped doing that is when several of us, myself included, left.

Keeping a running history of timelines and achievements motivated everyone, especially when our name was on the report.

Everyone's work was available for review.
  22. macrumors G5

Feb 8, 2003
    The Peninsula
  23. Stella, May 7, 2011
    Last edited: May 7, 2011

macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    Yes, he does take the heat. However, there are better ways of going about it... you don't *degrade* your employees. You'll loose them.

Grow up? No.. I've worked for long enough to know what you do and don't do to your employees. Sure, you don't wrap them up in cotton wool.... of course not.. but you don't go for the other extreme as well. You find out what went wrong and handle it *maturely* without lashing out. A *good* company will *learn* from its mistakes... Lashing out / degrading employees shows the culture of a company.

Also a good manager will take the heat and appropriately manage their employees.
  24. macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    If the employees can't take it then they can quit on the spot and find another job. Simple as that.
  25. dmm219, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011

macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2008
    All you are doing is making up BS yourself. Proof? Thats right, ou have none. All anecdotal evidence shows apple has always had quite a high overall attrition rate, yet manages to keep an "inner circle". Its proven bad management, because it eventually collapses when the current power regime ends. Apple will be really bad shape once Jobs is gone...period.