Steve Jobs Signature

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MattMC, Dec 10, 2003.

1. MattMC macrumors newbie

2. mylexon20s macrumors regular

mylexon20s

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

hmmmm. 4 hour drive and break into his house.

iJon

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Interesting. But I've never been much for autographed merchandise - I would never pay hundreds of $$$ for something just because it has an autograpgh on it. If it was something I really liked, I would never want to resell it, so what's the point, even if it goes up in value? I can't justify that much money then in that case. And if it was something I wanted to buy to resell, I don't think there would be much profit to be made on it - it's just like sports cards, stamps or coins - they are not to be collected to make money from, they should be collected for the sake of collecting and personal enjoyment. And I have no problems collecting for enjoyment and all that, but it's just that I don't enjoy collecting anything so much that I would spend hundreds of $$$ on it!

But hey, if Steve Jobs signing a shirt is your thing, by all means spend a lot of money on it!

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

and this guy is thinking he's going to get $10k for the shirt? Yeah right. :rolleyes:

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the other one was really high because it was his and steve wozniak's signature on the first macworld issue printed.

iJon

7. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Hey, Apple users are used to paying a premium! :D

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I purchased an Apple IIGS with steve wozniak's signature, didn't have to pay anything extra. Still have the certificate with his signature along with the other devoplers.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

I do find it somewhat amusing that the guy didn't sell that Macworld issue because he didn't get a high enough bid on it; if it was worth more than that to anybody but him, it would've sold. There was plenty of press on the auction, so I'm willing to bet more or less any serious Apple fan was aware of it, in which case the two or three thousand the auction topped out at was as high as it was going to go.

If the guy held onto it because he couldn't bear to part with it for less than [a new car, a decked-out G5, whatever], then fine, failed experiment. If he didn't sell it because he insists on believing it's worth more than that (sounds like a lot to me), then he's an idiot, since it's obviously not.

As for this one... well, we'll see if anybody meets the reserve, although from the sound of it I think he thinks it's worth a lot more than it actually is. ("worth" being how much someone is willing to pay for it.)

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, I agree - sometimes you need an impartial third party to help you realize what something is actually worth. People tens to view objects that are important and special to the as being worth more than they actually are - they are biased. This guy is not going to get a lot for that shirt.

11. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

There's also emotional value or "worth", which is usually referred to as "priceless", but I'd bet that isn't the case here... :cool:

12. Freakk123 macrumors regular

I would by the shirt, at a somewhat reasonable price. But I will not justify spending nearly as much as the seller obviously thinks its worth. This guy just doesn't know how to price things.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, that's the whole problem - people put way too high value on things sometimes. I mean, really, even if Steve Jobs' signature is rare, it's just a shirt! I realize things don't work this way, and that never stops people, but I always shake my head when I see some of the outrageous things being sold on e-bay, for a lot of money, like a sandwich so-and-so took a bite out of, or a lock of hair of some celeb or famous dead person... I just couldn't be bothered, not could I justify spending money on those types of objects!

14. Makosuke macrumors 603

15. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, funny how that works. All of a sudden this amazing shirt which is one of a kind, and priceless, and worth sooo much money, isn't so great anymore! Well, it's nice to see this guy received a nice dose of reality at least and now realizes he isn't going to get a large amount of money for this shirt - he's in fact only going to get what it's truly worth, which is the way it should be!

16. willab macrumors newbie

It has been listed about five times. It ended yesterday with no one bidding on it with a reserve of 300 Today's listing has a buy it now of 1800.

17. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Geez, who is this guy?! I hope he doesn't get anything for it, it would serve him right - and give him a good dose of reality!

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I love the work the man does just as much as any other mac user ...

but common ... spending and money on the man signature is excessive, and borderline obsessive.

19. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ok, that's one fishy auction. First, the guy talks it up and lists it with a reserve and no buy it now. Bidding goes up to about $100, reserve not met, the shirt doesn't sell.

Then he relists it with a starting bid of $300 and a buy it now of $350. Doesn't sell.

Relists it again at the same price and buy it now, but only for a single day. Still doesn't sell.

Relists it AGAIN, this time starting at $850 with a buy it now of $1800 on a 7-day auction, and this time he has a single bidder bidding $850 for it?!

How, exactly, do you list something three times in a row, twice with a buy it now of $350, without sellig it, and then get somebody to bid $850 for it right out of the gate on the fourth try? Heck, if somebody actually bid that much for it, he/she must be an idiot for missing it the day before at $500 less.

I've seen failed auctions on eBay all the time, and I've never seen one relisted with triple the original asking price.

I thought this was just some guy who thought an autograph was worth more than it looked like originally, but now it looks like some sort of scam.

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Sketchy. I guess we'll see. I really don't know why people want to pay that much for something with a friggin autograph on it...

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This guy is an idiot, just like anyone who is willing to pay that much money for a shirt with a signature on it. :cool:

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Or underpants, towels, pants, hats, baseballs, bras, or anything else signed that is.

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly! :cool: