steve jobs: smartest man in technology.

Discussion in 'Community' started by hkala, Feb 5, 2005.

1. hkala macrumors member

forget the name of the show but i was watching PBS last night around 8-9pm est. and these two guys were discussing technology/computers and proclaimed steve jobs as the smartest man in technology.

i think i agree with that.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think he's got an unbeatable & uncannily savvy grasp of the average consumer's view and their needs when it comes to the use of media and technology.

3. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I wouldn't go that far on that claim. I mean everyone in the business has wins and losses. And its always a combined effort, people are making it sound as if he had a dream or something. "Oh hail Steve Jobs he is Atlas". :rolleyes: :)

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Smartest man no doubt. But not really a technical person.

5. MyLeftNut macrumors regular

I don't think he is either. He is no doubt the one of the strongest visionaries out there and I bet he was even before he started Apple. I wish there were people like him in politics and other fields instead of the morons we have to put up with.

My thinking has always been, "Why do people always want more? Why can't they want better ?" I'd say he is in a similar frame of mind and it explains in part why I am attracted to Apples products. ;)

6. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

It all depends on how exactly you rate it. If you rate by success or money, it would defenately be Bill Gates. If it's all about technology, it would be someone like von Neumann (can't really think of any great inventors for computer science that still live). If it's about filosofy, it would be Richard Stallman.

But if it's about making the great computers and software, Steve Jobs would be my first choice too.

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Maybe not with some things, but he is still pretty technical. He understand how electronics work. Remember, he's not just a business man, he was one of the people who created the first Apple computers.

I saw the same report, and it shocked me to hear these people talking about him so glowingly. Just a few years ago, it was pretty much the opposite. They mentioned how he knew just enough to be involved, but let others do what they needed to do. They liked his managment style, for better or worse, because it seemed to be working.

One of the guys joked he probably wouldn't want to work for him, but it was still a compliment.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

His gift is in having a vision, and pushing his people toward that goal. He seems to understand what the consumer wants. Since his return to Apple he wins the majority.

9. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

The vision started at Apple, but OSX is the real result. And Jobs brought X with him from NeXt. LOOK at this demo he did.

10. pigbat macrumors regular

Nice, I had never seen this before. Thanks.

11. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

It's so wierd to hear Steve downtalk Macs.

12. SteveC macrumors 6502

"Smartest?" Maybe. "Most innovation-oriented leader?" Definitely. "Most ruthless?" Many people would answer that with: "No doubt..." lol

13. Devie macrumors 6502a

IMHO, Bill Gates was the smartest. He did amazing thing with Windows... not with the program itself, but getting it out there on to the PC and making it pretty much the only choice for consumers.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

This was lately. He hasn't been so smart lately as people are getting even less happy with their experiences with his products, and his new products are being seen as the ripoffs they are, ie (no pun intended) WMP vs. iTunes/iPod. The program did mentioned it briefly, if I remember correctly.

Bill is great at marketing, but that's about it.

15. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

One could argue, and rightfully so, that Gates was a sponge, and that his real success was a result of Apple's mis-steps. Remember, Apple HAD the market share in the early 80's, and could have kept it with a few "Jobs-like" efforts. But he was gone. Gates copied the GUI, and gave a cut rate to manufaturers to put it on their machines. And am I glad that happened, in a way. Apple had to survive, and innovation was the only way. Hence I am using a wonder of a machine, where 90% of America is less productive than they can be. Heck, I come here because I have the time!

16. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I thought it was Wozniak that had the computer smarts, and that Jobs was the front-man? I seem to recall that while Woz was working on the machine, Jobs would go out and sell.

17. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

IMO i think Gates and Jobs share the title as the smartest men behind the technology, but as far as the technical aspect, I don't put Jobs in the top five. Bill and Woz would be in the top five though.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

19. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Right. That was some elevator ride. Apple must have really tall buildings for all that to take place. Oh, and the place must be deserted, since not one other person got on during this lengthy ride.
    If it's true, I'll eat an iPod Shuffle and pass it sideways.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I didn't see any reason to disbelieve the story. Would only expect the elevator to be busy three times a day. I have been in buildings many times when no one else gets on. Conversations can proceed quickly. Just found it very interesting. It showed another side of Steve that wee don't get to see in public.

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

An indefensible position is simply a rumor. But I guess IS called MacRumors for a reason.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You guys do realize that's a joke site, right? I mean, it's a funny anecdote, that I can totally see happening, but there's a pretty good chance it didn't happen. Because... well, read the rest of the site and the comments, you'll see what I mean.

23. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

steve is very good at what he does , whatever job he would do he would rise to the top of it .

can you see steve as a car salesman or a insurance seller ? :D