Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I watched it last night. There's nothing new here. If you followed the lifetime of Apple then it's all here. They glanced over Next and Pixar big time - so this was an "Apple" film, as opposed to a Steve Jobs one.
For historical purposes, it could be considered mean spirited, but I agree that our "love", however artificial it may be, towards Apple Products did stem from his vision about consumer products.
Im sure it will be better than any of the dramatized versions of his life.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
It was $4.99 this morning, when I went to go watch it this evening , it was $6.99. I'll wait for the Netflix release in 3 weeks :)

Do you know the day that Netflix will get it? I figure I'll probably add it to my calendar to watch with my wife on that evening.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I watched it last night and while, yes, there was some negative stuff in there, there also were some positive elements, plus some things to think about. As a long-time Mac user and Apple products user I didn't learn anything new from the documentary but I found it useful and thought-provoking anyway. Rather than going to a theatre to see it, I found it very fitting, somehow, to watch it through iTunes on one of my Macs.

doug in albq

Suspended
Oct 12, 2007
It was ok, high production quality. I liked the shots in Japan. The content was somewhat hollow.

konilim

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Watched it. Really liked it.

The complex visionary/sociopath he was is very well documented. But perhaps not for everyone here: I can also see how it can hurt the sensibilities of the huge fan base that prefer to see him in a unidimensional flawless light.

Cheers!

Completely agree. Saw it as well and thought it was a pretty on the money. I am an apple fanboy, but we have to be realistic about the dark side of our gadgets.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The dude was a hot mess but still no worse or meaner than about 80% of the executives and stockbrokers I've worked for.

There were some very well written and balanced reviews written in this thread. Well done! The atmosphere in here is much better than I was anticipating. I'm sorry I'm too tired to contribute any articulate comments of my own. I can say I felt the absence of other potentially more positive points of view in this documentary.

Steve's relationship with Lisa's mother was complicated and not a persistently stable committed one. Only those two really knew what happened between them and even that knowledge was always going to be distorted by personal blinders and the fading accuracy of human memory.

He was a complex and flawed human being who dared to dream big and had what it took to make most of those dreams a reality. He did so in a shark tank and he learned early to show plenty of teeth of his own. I never screwed up with people quite as badly as he's done and I'm nicer and more charitable, but I've not accomplished anything worth remembering and I don't have much money to donate no matter how charitable my intentions. So there. Yay me...not. He at least gave the means for other people to do some good with his company's inventions even if he himself was not always so inclined.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
The dude was a hot mess but still no worse or meaner than about 80% of the executives and stockbrokers I've worked for.

There were some very well written and balanced reviews written in this thread. Well done! The atmosphere in here is much better than I was anticipating. I'm sorry I'm too tired to contribute any articulate comments of my own. I can say I felt the absence of other potentially more positive points of view in this documentary.

Steve's relationship with Lisa's mother was complicated and not a persistently stable committed one. Only those two really knew what happened between them and even that knowledge was always going to be distorted by personal blinders and the fading accuracy of human memory.

He was a complex and flawed human being who dared to dream big and had what it took to make most of those dreams a reality. He did so in a shark tank and he learned early to show plenty of teeth of his own. I never screwed up with people quite as badly as he's done and I'm nicer and more charitable, but I've not accomplished anything worth remembering and I don't have much money to donate no matter how charitable my intentions. So there. Yay me...not. He at least gave the means for other people to do some good with his company's inventions even if he himself was not always so inclined.

Your first point is interesting. I previously asked "At what point does a person's bad behavior outweigh and even negate their positive contributions?" A related question might be "Could Steve Jobs have accomplished as much as he did without being a jerk (or whatever pejorative one applies to his bad side)?" Or perhaps: "Can you run a company like Apple successfully and be a good person?" Tim Cook may be testing that. I've heard that he's a demanding manager, but not mean, mercurial, or outrageous. Of course, Scott Forstall might choose to disagree with that characterization.

kurtster

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2005
Tokyo
I saw it last night and, while it didn't bring much new to the table (how could it?), I thought it was a well-balanced portrayal of a very complicated person.

It seems the only person who really understood him, saw his true character and yet accepted him was the zen priest Otogawa.

RoaneH415

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
interesting movie..... i found this podcast with some inside information/experiences with Steve from a colleague that worked with him directly at Apple...... it's also interesting: http://bit.ly/1McpK6o
FYI
11:45 – inside info on development of original Apple Airplay (originally called AirTunes)
21:20 – story about early technology and early development of the iPhone w/ Steve Jobs
26:02 – inside info on Apple’s original wireless router business
27:14 - inside info on "what you learn working at Apple"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.