Steve Jobs to Give WWDC 2007 Keynote

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 1, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple announced today that Steve Jobs will indeed be giving the Keynote speech at WWDC 2007.

The keynote speech will take place on Monday, June 11th at 10a.m. PT at San Francisco's Moscone West. Apple will be showing a "feature complete version" of Mac OS X Leopard and will be giving out beta copies to developers for testing.

As announced earlier, the final version of Leopard will ship in October.

2. macrumors 68020

Jaw Dropping. TWO keynotes in one year. Who of thought.

/sarcasm

We all expected this to happen, right?

3. macrumors 68000

epochblue

Yep. This isn't exactly surprising....move along, nothing to see here.

4. macrumors 65816

amac4me

Looking forward to the keynote! Can anyone say "Top Secret"?

5. macrumors 6502

let's hear the prediction.

6. macrumors 6502

drumpat01

I have this feeling that we are going to be utterly dissapointed with whatever these "Top Secret" features are.

7. macrumors newbie

Hardware?

Is it likely Jobs will use this keynote to launch hardware updates? i.e. Santa Rosa portables/imacs. It seems like apple saves up a few announcements for his speeches and these are expected soon. Or is this unlikely at a developer conference?

8. macrumors 68020

sunfast

Developers had better have their stuff ready by October with this extra time they're getting. :rolleyes:

9. macrumors regular

kiang

Jobs talking about Leopard: big surprise :rolleyes:
    anyway: a confirmation is always nice ^^

10. macrumors 6502

i don't think Santa Rosa is coming yet. wouldn't that require design change? with everyone workin on iPhone in these days, I dont think Apple has the manpower to work on redesigning of Macs to utilize santa Rosa's features.

I would say it is coming on October with the release of Leopard.

11. macrumors 65816

I'm waiting for the line from SJ:

"Well that's all folks, Oh ... I nearly forgot, ... just one more thing ..."

What will it be this year? :)

12. macrumors 6502a

macnews

that makes two of us. I do hope I am wrong.

13. macrumors 6502

<rant>

SJ better not use this keynote to ram more IPHONE Garbage down our throats. And before anyone says, "he won't do that, your being silly", remember that the IPHONE runs that wonderful OSX lite version that everyone is so very proud of. Soooo if you strech/twist/bend the anouncments just enough, everything that they have said about the Keynote could apply to the iphone.

that being said, if steve does allow the keynote to be hijacked by the iphone, I hope he gets booed off the stage.

and in case your wondering? Yes I am bitter about the, "lets pull people off leopard, to finish the iphone on time" thing.

</rant>

14. macrumors 6502a

Leopard keynote and preview handed out. Hmmm... sounds a lot like last year's WWDC.

15. macrumors 65816

Ah yes that line again... :(

1) Apple has several different hardware teams, ones that focus on Mac hardware, iPod hardware, and now iPhone hardware (obviously with some sharing of resources, especially industrial design). They have the resources and bandwidth to work on these in parallel. They also have several different application software teams (some large) that are working on products in parallel. They also have several OS teams that work on the various "OS X" sub-system. Aspects of those OS teams are focusing on CPE (current product engineering, aka work on 10.4.x) and rest on future major revisions of "OS X".

2) The OS X group has been running lean and mean for a while now (based on a few sources) however they are having to support an ever larger product and a product that is starting to serve more then just Macintosh hardware :)apple:TV, iPhone, next gen iPod??). ...so they appear to be running a little too lean and hopefully Apple management now better realizes this. (note Leopard is a very large undertaking given the exposure of 64-bit frameworks and the removal of legacy APIs that then had to be backfilled with modern APIs... this is a LOT of work, testing and feedback from 3rd party developers)

3) "everyone" isn't working on the iPhone, not even close... They moved the near term focus of "OS X" development to the flavor of OS X that will be used on the iPhone so that the iPhone could ship in June (or very close to it) with sufficient quality. They did this by shifting the focus of some experienced "OS X" developers off of Leopard and onto OS X for the iPhone. This resulted in Leopard issue closure rates slowing down sufficiently so that they decided to delay Leopard so they could achieve the quality goals they have for it.

4) The Santa Rosa platform isn't radically different then the Napa platform. It doesn't require a ground up redesign of a system. ...with that said it could depend on a platform expert (aspect of XNU, Mac OS X kernel) that is only implemented and available in Leopard. So they may have to wait until Leopard ships to support the new hardware platform however I doubt Apple planned things like that. IMHO Apple has the needed platform expert support working on 10.4 so they wont have to wait until Leopard.

16. macrumors newbie

I don't think that Santa Rosa IMac would require a design change. However even if it does and we do not see new Mac Mini/IMac on or before WWDC. Then I will truely believe that that Apple has forsaken all for the IPhone. If that is true then we will be lucky to see any updates till the Penryn processors come out.

17. macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I love how much that annoys me.

This isn't really news. It'd be more like news if he wasn't!

:eek:

Oh well. I am on a boat with no communication then anyway.

18. macrumors newbie

Keep in mind that we (probably) already know about one of the "top secret" features: ZFS. Apple has made no official announcement that ZFS will be in Leopard, and if it hadn't been for the leaks, we still wouldn't know about it. Considering that ZFS is a big deal and Apple appears to have taken pains to hide it, it's almost certainly one of the top secret features.

It's also worth pointing out that Time Machine uses hard links to make it look like each dated backup directory is in fact a complete copy of your hard disk, at a different point in time. This, as far as I know, is unusual for a backup program -- I'm not aware of any others which structure their backups this way. It's also exactly what ZFS snapshots look like -- a bunch of directories, each of which contains a complete copy of your hard disk at a different point in time. Couple the ZFS-friendly layout with the fact that Time Machine now does hourly backups (which is perfectly reasonable for snapshots, but probably too frequent if you have to store a complete copy of each modified file), and I'm 95% confident that Time Machine will in fact use ZFS and snapshots rather than HFS+ and hard links when it ships.

But, of course, we already know all this, so it's not "top secret" and everyone is going to say "That's it?!? But we already knew about ZFS!". Just because we already know about something doesn't mean it's not one of the "top secret" features. I'd love to get some nice surprises, but I'm more than happy with the things we already know about Leopard. It's going to be a nice upgrade.

19. macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Show of hands, who *didn't* see this coming?

*crickets chirping*

Seriously, it's more newsworthy when Steve Jobs *doesn't* do the keynote. Perhaps it's time to move these stories to Page 2?

20. macrumors 68020

A company with $770M quarterly profits, $7B of cold hard cash in the bank...and it doesn't have the manpower to design a phone and a laptop?

21. macrumors P6

Peace

With product managers having time to run around taking pics with the iPhone while eating pizza Apple darn well better show us some stuff other than the iPhone.

22. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

According to sources I've read, there were two OSX teams, a 'technologies' team and a 'features' team; and they alternated for releases. Which makes sense - 10.2 was a technology release (Rendevous, Quartz Extreme, Address Book API etc), 10.3 was a features release, with new apps that further used those features, 10.4 was a technology release (Core Video, Core Image, Spotlight APIs etc.).

For 10.5 however, Apple have supposedly merged the two teams. Hence, I'm surprised to hear the OSX team now being called lean.

23. macrumors 65816

Clive At Five

To me it sounds like you'll stretch/twist/bend any announcement about OS X and bend it into "more iPhone garbage" so that you can complain.

I know a lot of people are upset about Leopard, but you just need to relax. Tiger is still the most advanced consumer-oriented operating system on the market. And it's not like Apple CANCELED Leopard. They just set it back 120 days. Can't you wait that long?

Besides, the iPhone *is* a revolutionary device. Leopard, on the whole, is not as revolutionary (at least that we know of). The iPhone will add a fortune to Apple's bottom line. No it's not for everyone, and yes it sucks that it has its limitations, but niether the same applies to every single one of Apple's products. Like, I know the Mac Pro is way too powerful for me. I know that the iPhone is out of my price range. I know that the Mac Mini won't be powerful enough to do what I want it to.

Here's the thing though: I can gaurantee that Apple has, at some point, delayed a product release to work on a project that didn't apply to me. Does that mean they alienated and abandoned me? No. It just means I had to wait another 4 months to buy that product.

You have to think about what is in Apple's best interest as opposed to your best interest. A delay in Leopard had/has some detrimental effects, but they are limited. A delay of the iPhone would have been catastrophic, not only for Apple's reputation, but also its stock price.

Leopard needed to be delayed.

-Clive

24. macrumors 601

mrkramer

I agree that the Mini needs either a price drop or update, but what do you want the iMac to be updated to??

25. macrumors 65816

iJawn108

Anyone else read about iGoogle?

I'm guessing this could be what was meant by the comments of them joining forces. I bet this will replace .mac

Anyways about WWDC, I can't really even think of what they might add in leopard :\