Steve Jobs to Keynote MWSF 2004

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Dec 18, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

IDG World Expo has officially announced that Steve Jobs will be delivering the opening keynote address at MacWorld San Francisco on Tuesday, Jan 6 2004 at 9:00 am (Pacific).

In the past, Apple has traditionally provided a live Quicktime stream of the event, as well as satellite broadcasts to their retail Apple Stores. Details on these transmissions are not yet available.

2. macrumors 6502a

Dahl

iApps updates ?

3. macrumors newbie

I hope...

new iphoto, ichat av for windows (see side note) and home on ipod

side note: I noticed a friend of mine who is a pc user (yes i do talk to some of them) and next to his name on my ichat buddy list had a phone. I said to him "your on a mac, good man". not true, he got the new AIM beta, and it claims to have av ability. While the phone icon is lightened out like he is on another convo and he is unable to ask me to connect too, i hope to see whatever is stopping that go away and the av ability become more used

4. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I can't wait until MWSF!!! *Explodes*

5. macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Is this keynote date earlier than normal?

6. macrumors regular

I'm thinking it's going to be mostly ipod related. Talking about what a success the ipod was over the holidays, and then introducing either;

1. A lower priced value ipod
    or
    2. Larger capacities for the same prices

That's my predictions.

7. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Re: I hope...

iChat uses an open source video codec, the new AIM beta doesn't. They are not, and likely will not be compatible.

8. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

No

9. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

ohhh!

for that day I'll be in America, not in SF but still can feel me closer... :D

What's coming? iApps, iChat windows (maybe), new low-priced iPods, speed bumps, giveaways, big 20 years cake ;) and of course... one more thing...:)

10. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Maybe finally they'll announce Disney buying them, or Sony... JOKING! That was a big joke.

Speed bumps making my G5 look like a Texas Instruments calculator I'm guessing, doubt the iPod lower price (Jobs? Lower the price of something with high profits? You're kidding?), maybe iPod updates... and a pony.

11. macrumors regular

was this a surprise?

Come on, when has Jobs not done the keynote at MWSF? (Not counting before he was the iCEO)

12. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

A little conservative, aren't we.

I think this will be a rather big presentation wth lots to talk about.

13. macrumors regular

Re: was this a surprise?

I don't think it was meant to be a surprise, just announced as a formality

14. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

maybe some newbies are just getting used to the keynote schedule, but I guess the main idea of this topic is to increase the expectation level for every mac user and start wishes for the upcoming products... mac veterans know even which brand of T-shirt, jean, shoes steve uses ;)

15. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Re: Re: was this a surprise?

Raises hand.... :)

Heck for the last few months I've been referring to MWSF as that January thing.

16. macrumors regular

Just playing it safe. I'm sure Steve will have surprises that will knock my socks off, last year, the announcement of the 12" and 17" PBs made me gasp for air. Hopefully, he'll have something equally awesome as I watch the keynote on one of those 12" PBs

17. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

sorry for posting again but just realized that is the same when mom says "Santa is coming this X-mas" ... of course there are some bad boys "Ehh mom, is it a surprise? when hasn't santa come?"... but children always start "I want to have this, I wish that...."

Let our Santa to be announced... it's X-MACs time ;) :D

18. macrumors 6502a

Jerry Spoon

Can't wait. I think I'm excited b/c I've got no expectations. I'll be happy with whatever comes out. Hope the QT stream is good for me. Seems to be a bit hit and miss over the years.

19. macrumors newbie

ichat av

if ichat av and aim will not be compatable then i will switch to aim. no need to feel superior if noone uses it....

20. macrumors member

Did anyone really doubt that he would do the keynote? He loves the SF MacWorld.

21. macrumors regular

I'll be watching that... 5pm GMT for any UK-ers here :), assuming they have a quicktime feed of it up.

I think this could be quite possibly the biggest year for Apple (2004) as marketshare is finally going up, Apple actually has the largest marketshare in the portable digital music player market and they have got rid of motorola. It's also the 20th anniversary, of course :p.

22. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am looking forward to:
    -New ipods
    -Updated PowerMac G5s
    -Early info on Mac OS X 10.4
    -New 20th Aniversary Mac (hopefully a new, cheaper G5 cube)
    -Updated iMacs, maybe G5s (although these could be the 20th aniversay Macs)

23. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

My predictions

No matter what is announced everyone will look at what wasn't, and there will be a bunch of "underwhelmed" people.

"What do you mean no G5 tablet-based TIVO-enabled iPod? Sheesh, what's all the hype about?"

24. macrumors regular

I've been around the mac for a while, but what brand of T-neck, jeans and shoes does Steve wear?

25. macrumors member

I like your analogy.