Steve Jobs to Kick Off WWDC with Preview of Mac OS X "Tiger"

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by simply258, May 4, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

CUPERTINO, California— May 4, 2004— Apple® today announced that Steve Jobs will kick off its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) with a keynote on Monday, June 28, 2004, beginning at 10:00 a.m. at San Francisco’s Moscone West. This year's keynote will include a preview of “Tiger,” the next major release of Mac® OS X.

Apple Press Release

2. macrumors regular

So when is Tiger going to be out? (that name is pretty bland, after Panther :rolleyes: )

Btw, the cost of attending this WWDC is $1595!!! Who can afford to attend at those prices? Has anybody attended any of these? Who paid?

3. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

So Tiger is the name

4. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i thought we knew that tiger was the name for a while now?

anyhow- this is pretty cool. any word on what some of the new features are going to be?

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Developers maybe ? After all, this is a developers conference, not for everyone. And you can deduct $300 off of that price if you register early before May 14.

6. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

This is big...But if they do announce it does that mean we have to pay again?

7. macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

Only if you want to upgrade. If you are happy your Panther you don't have to upgrade. I know plenty of people who are still using Jaguar, and I will probably wait a couple of years before upgrading (Ocelot?, Cougar?).

I look at it like this, on Apple you can upgrade your OS yearly at $99 or so; on Windows, you can upgrade a every three years or so for $300. How often do people really upgrade their Windows OS. By the time the next release comes out, usually your whole computer is obsolete. Meanwhile, I upgraded to Panther on my G3 iMac and had a rather noticable speed increase.

ps. I noticed this release as well. It really should be on the front page of MacRumors. How do we tell Arn?

8. macrumors 68000

Veldek

There’s a „Submit“ link in the menubar on the front page...

9. macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

Thanks, I searched after I posted and found it. I gave credit to simply258 for orginally posting it. I signed up for the WWDC email list so I would stay updated on what was going to happen there.

I assume WWDC keynotes are streamed over the web just like the MacWorld keynote was.

10. macrumors member

I will order my copy immediately after the Apple Store reopens after WWDC. Maybe even a new G5, iPod, and Display. Even though i havent had mine 6 months yet.

11. macrumors 6502

Guys, when Steve Jobs announced Panther at WWDC 2003 - didn't he do the whole "Today, Jaguar is over. Today we preview Panther.." thing. If Apple are announcing Tiger - they obviously have something cool under their hats - and want as big a hype, and as many people tuning in, and present as they can get?

-- Andrew

12. macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

It won't be for sale that day, or even available for pre-order. It's just being previewed.

At last years WWDC, Steve previewed Panther. It wasn't available for pre-order until September, and it wasn't sold until october.

13. macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Do we know any of the enhancements/features yet? Or is it still all pretty quiet?

I don't know what feature can top exposé, but if anyone can make the near perfect Panther better, good ol' Steve can.

14. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Oh god, another $150 Cdn upgrade fee.

Do I have to pay it? No, but I'd feel left out if I didn't. The new features are always sweet-ass. Knowing that there are sweet features in OSX Tiger 10.4 and not being able to try them out is like taking an ex-alcoholic into a bar to......talk.

I'm weak. I'll break. I'll always pay because the features are always cool. Steve.....oh Steve..... please don't make the features kick ass this year. :eek:

15. macrumors regular

sj will demonstrate TIGER on the new 23inch G5 i-mac, yeah !

16. macrumors member

kansast

yea but

I just think we were all hoping it wasn't true. Tiger is just so generic.. nothing against any Tigers out there :)

17. macrumors 6502

Maybe Tiger will finally fix my occasionally non-working Finder keyboard shortcuts. You know, I like using things like command-w to close a g*ddam window! Argh!

18. macrumors regular

Networking

I am still having networking issues with 10.3, so if Tiger can finally get a kick butt network then I'm in otherwise, I'll wait. What else could they possibly be adding to this OS, anyway? I can't wait to see what they've dreamed up...

19. macrumors regular

It may not be stated in the press release, but the WWDC page states it explicitly:

20. macrumors regular

Oh man I'm so hoping they play "Eye of the Tiger" at this WWDC

:rolleyes:

21. macrumors 65816

billyboy

What is the longest keynote speech ever?

Let's hear Steve woo the world with a cocoa Finder not like the current finder. That would be nice - just so as to keep well away from Windows influence, and also to ensure that the central part of the OS is actually in keeping with the rest of the Cocoa software that developers are dutifully turfing out nine to the dozen.

Multiple docks - preferably ones that dont clog up with all open apps would be nice too.

And a general interface speed increase so my Panther nippy G4 PB at least feels like a rocket powered G5 on the front end.

And some serious work getting Services up to speed for the mother of all copy/paste/instantaneous application switching.

And speech to text built in, and text to speech made more life like, and moused gestures, and resizing of windows on all sides, and tear off menus and no restarts after installing any software and the ability to cmd drag ALL menubar apps, not just Apple's and .......

22. macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

I actually like the idea of yearly OS updates. Why wait three years for a bigger when you can add new features every twelve months (now if they could only update the PowerMacs that often and maybe advertise the new OS!)

I would expect that if Apple uses a tiger look for the box. They go with a white tiger rather than the "normal" orange tiger look.

[​IMG]

23. macrumors member

Tiger still doen't sound right. 10.4 Bengal or 10.4 Tigris? :rolleyes:

24. macrumors member

Have you noticed that the rumor sites have mentioned very little about the new features in the up coming upgrades. Has apple clamped down harder on leaks, or have the features just not been set, yet?

25. macrumors 6502a

pjkelnhofer

I have not heard about this problem before. It is a wide spread issue?