Steve Jobs undergoes Cancer surgery

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by Ambrose Chapel, Aug 1, 2004.

1. macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Steve Jobs has surgery for cancer

He's ok it seems

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) Chief Executive Steve Jobs has had successful surgery for a rare form of pancreatic cancer, the company's co-founder told employees in a company-wide e-mail on Sunday that was made available to Reuters.

"This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas," Jobs wrote in the e-mail. "I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was)."

He added that he "will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments."

Jobs wrote that he will recuperate during the month of August and expects to return to Cupertino, California-based Apple in September. He is also chief executive of animated film studio Pixar Inc.

Jobs said that, in his absence, Tim Cook, head of worldwide sales and operations, will run the day-to-day operations of Apple, maker of the Macintosh computer and iPod portable digital music players.

ps - story found on macminute

2. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Oh, wow, thanks for the link. I'm glad to hear he's ok.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

he's very lucky - usually pancreatic cancer is quickly fatal in most cases...

4. macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I imagine, what with its critical role in the endocrine and digestive systems.

5. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...A very good friend of mine had her mother die from pancreatic cancer...she was quite young too but once it gets to a certain stage it is very difficult to cure no matter what you try....very glad to hear that Steve had his diagnosed and looked after quickly....oh yeah!

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

my grandmother died from it, not young but mid-60s...not old either.

anyway glad to hear that steve's variant of it is fully treatable by surgery

7. macrumors member

theFly

Everyone should send Steve a Get Well iCard. ;)

Mark W
    Fly on the Mac
    Rumors You Can Bet On

8. macrumors member

9. macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

That's kinda scary. Good thing it was diagnosed and treated in time.

10. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Whoa, I wonder if getting these rare cancers is stress-related? :confused:

11. macrumors 65816

MacFan26

I was just going to post that story! :) I'm glad he was able to get that treated in time, and didn't have to go under any chemotherapy. It seems only natural that he would be the one to get something that rarely happens :rolleyes:. Good thing he's ok.

12. macrumors regular

It is rare that pancreatic cancer is caught in time because symptoms usually appear late. It generally has a very low survival rate. Let's hope (pray) it did not metastasize. Time will tell.

I'd hate to think what would happen to Apple if Steve died. :(

13. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Get well Steve. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

14. macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

May your recovery be swift and total!

Mike

PS: Enjoy the time off... ;)

EDIT: Yes I know he will never see the following message.

15. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Man, when I saw that topic I got that weird feeling in my stomach! But now that I know everything is okay, I feel alot better :D

16. macrumors bot

17. macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to Steve Jobs and his family. May the healing power of God surround him. It sounds as though he is very fortunate. I just wonder how it was diagnosed at this early stage.

18. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

19. macrumors member

Whoa, that comes as rather a shock. I'm glad it's as not-serious as he says, for his sake as well as Apple's. When you realize just how hands-on Jobs is at Apple in terms of design and strategy, it makes you nervous to realize what might happen if he were to leave planet Earth all of a sudden. :eek:

Jared

20. macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its not so much the importance but that pancreatic cancer is usually not caught until it is far far too late. It grows and spreads rapidly and is usually not caught until after it has spread to the liver and starts damaging it.

21. macrumors 6502

I too jumped at the title of this thread, but am glad it appears he will be OK. I've lost a grandfather and an uncle to cancer, and it is devastating. Keep fighting Jobs family, you'll get through it!

--Waluigi

22. macrumors member

All the best for a speedy and total recovery. This case really emphasizes the need for early detection.

23. macrumors member

dfa4

We wish him well...

Hope that Jobs has a speedy recovery.

24. macrumors regular

Doga

OMG this is so shocking. Indeed, it's very fortunate that there was an early diagnosis & treatment.

Get well, get rest, get back in the saddle soon, Steve! You've got a few million people sending positive vibes your way!

25. macrumors member

way to go steve!

you've beat cancer, now when're we gonna see you on the podium with that yellow jersey...? ;)