steve jobs...what has he done for apple lately?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Dec 23, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    since sj came on as an advisor for apple, then iCEO, then just CEO...he has saved the company in '98 and brought the iMac followed by the ibook the following year, then os x came out; all good things

but what has the ceo done for apple lately?

the luster of sj's magic is clearly not there anymore and should it be time for a new ceo?

2. sickboy_osX macrumors regular

Aug 27, 2002
    Pocatello, Idaho
    Do people not remember what happened Apple tried to get a new CEO?

I say bring back the WOZ, and let him run the engineering aspect of the company!

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I actually doubt woz would be a whole lot of use to apple right now. Don't get me wrong, he's a genius, and could probably very quickly be brought up to speed on what apple is doing, but what benefit would he really bring. Steve jobs brought his marketing, charisma, and a vision of apple that was sorely needed.

Personally, I'm really interested to see what comes of the "Wheels of Zuez" venture Woz has going right now. He's very focused on it from what I gather.

And as for changing the CEO, you don't change a CEO on a whim. S. Jobs has done plenty lately, even if some of its not as obvious as new hardware (lets not forget, all the current hardware has come from his administration, so its not like things have been stagnant. I mean, products can't be changed every 6 months just for the sake of it). So long as apple is doing pretty well financially and has vision, what possible reason is there to change the CEO.
  4. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    It's hard to say what he has done for Apple lately since I have no way of telling what he has had direct involvement in.

Apple's latest successes to me are the iPod, the FP iMac and the Switch campaign.
  5. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nov 20, 2002
    Born in USSR

...And Woz came, returned to the place where he began, to end the epic journey, and in the year 2003 Apple was no more, and two friends, Steve and Steve, both poor as church mouses, returned to the small garage to meditate until the end of time...

Apple should just spring far ahead again, but is this possible nowadays?
  6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    here here
  7. Chomolungma macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Wait...Wait...Wait...Eureka! I got it. The stock price SUCKS!:mad:
  8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    no it doesn't

it's way up there the gutter:rolleyes:
  9. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002
    Along with how many other companies?
  10. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
    But then they have $4 billion in cash, instead of $10 billion in debt.
  11. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Dec 6, 2002
    Washington State University
    Yes! Woz! I doubt he'd do it, but it's worth a shot.
  12. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    compared to what. Apple is probably one of the better stocks out there (and several analysts agree with that). No debt, high cash reserves, strong brand. Theya re in great position. And so what if the stock price has gone down a bit, what does that mean anyway. My company has had record revenue growth every single quarter for the last 40 some odd years, and our stock got hammered too. It will come back up. Apple wouldn't even look that bad if they hadn't done that stock split a while back.
  13. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    maybe the powerbook paint? (or is that story about him not liking the titanium version of that part not true?)
  14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    as someone said, i don't know how much steve jobs has to do with some things... so rather than saying what "he's" done, i'll say what about apple has me still hoping.

1. os x... of course... still want some boosts and some freaking printer support (though a lot of that falls to the printer co's)

2. the imac/emac- good solid computers for pretty cheap, as compared to comparable pc's..

3. the laptops! the laptops in my opinion, are by far apple's strongest hardware spot. it's tough to find a pc laptop with anything close to the specs of a powerbook, and even an ibook for a similar price... with similar quality.

4. some of the iapps are really stellar

5. ipod

where is apple crapping out a bit?

1... powermacs/processors in general- but mostly we'd agree that this isn't ENTIRELY apple's fault.

2. some of the iapps.... was just trying to do some printing from iphoto and it's a big pain. not easy at all.... change a setting, and it changes back randomly.... whereas from preview, it worked fine....
  15. mcrain macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2002
    What has Steve Jobs done lately. Well, Steve Jobs and Apple have OSX (a very non-intrusive os), the iPod, and the Powerbook.

He made me switch.