'Steve would have never allowed'/Shut up and take my money and other +1 posts

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by chrmjenkins, Aug 21, 2012.

1. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I've noticed an increase in the frequency of useless, '+1' type posts. On the first page of almost every article, there's at least 1 post referring to how "Steve would have never allowed ____" and at least 1 post either expecting this type of post or responding to its inevitably. Additionally, every product rumor/announcement seems to have at least 1 Futurama Fry "Shut Up and Take My Money" image macro (often multiple ones). This is accompanied by what seems like an increase in trolls as of late too. These detract from discussion and produce extra scrolling.

Am I alone in thinking this has increased? Any plans to do anything or is it perceived as harmless and in the noise still at this point?

2. simsaladimbamba

Use the [​IMG] button to report those posts, that is probably all you can do right now.

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click the report post icon [​IMG] and report them.

4. macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Moderators try to take most of this noise down as we see it
    Please help us out by reporting it as you see it and we can take action

+1 posts, posts with only images as you describe, etc. are flagged in the Forum Rules and will be addressed

Yes, there is a lot of it, which is all the more reason to report it
    I know you see much of it, but trust me, we have removed far more than you see

5. thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I do report them, I just wanted to know the official stance on it. Clicking gets old and I wanted to know if there would be any kind of organized effort than reporting. I also hate spamming the moderators unless it's really egregious.

6. simsaladimbamba

I do that all the time, and they like it.

In all earnest, there does not really seem to be some kind of automated measure to prevent posting a +1 or "Take my money" image.

But that reporting issue gave me an idea:
    What if the Report Post page also included a quick check list, like "SPAM", "+1 post" or "redundant image" or something similar? Thus it could be categorised more easily, maybe even have an automated system taking care of it. But I guess VBB is not capable of doing that.

7. macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Most of the moderators work comes from post reports, so it is always helpful. If you start sending tons and tons of reports, for posts that don't need moderator attention, then they will send you a message. Until then, report away.

8. macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

So "Steve would have never allowed this" can be classed as spam now? Reported rather a lot of posts and so far have yet to recieve a "Good God man stop right now" :D

9. macrumors regular

OddyOh

But Tim said...

Don't forget the "doubling down on security" posts...And the "inb4" posts that try and list all the meme's at once... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said, I'm guilty of meme image posting a couple times...definitely will knock that off! :eek:

10. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Every year you will see something new and the old ones drop off. When is the last time you saw a "Next Tuesday" post. Eventually a new catch phrase will replace those Fry and Steve said... posts.

11. macrumors 604

chrono1081

I sometimes feel bad when I send 50 different messages to the mods when I spot the late night spam posts roll in. I feel like I'm being "needy".

12. macrumors 603

SkyBell

I kind of miss the "PowerBook G5" thing we had going on there for a while. :D

13. macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Those were the days!

14. macrumors 6502a

Let's file "Safari seems snappier" posts under this category as well. I'm actually glad to hear that these repetitious posts are in violation in the rules; now I can flag them without feeling like I'm wasting the moderators' time.

15. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No need to feel bad about it.

We can't monitor every thread that's posted so we rely on our members to send in reports. Keep them coming. :)

16. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Jeez.. I'm sick of all these "report those posts" posts...

(I'm going to hell, amn't I....)

17. thread starter macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I think those are grandfathered in because most of the people here are too new to even understand the joke. :) And the fact that most people use it in reply contextually rather than blabber it every thread helps too.

18. simsaladimbamba

You are only going to hell if you believe that stuff.

And there is currently no other way to get mods attention about this. What is your solution to this?

19. macrumors regular

OddyOh

How about "slow news day?" posts... :rolleyes: Maybe don't come to the web site if you don't like the content. :confused:

20. macrumors 604

Could the mods clarify on this? I'd love to see these posts deleted but I don't want to waste their time reporting them unless it's legit.

21. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I think the consensus viewpoint is that if there is no other content/that's all the post says then most likely we'd delete it under "Things Not To Do" Rule 2

22. macrumors 68020

That is good news. They are some of the most annoying posts going. Thank you for clarifying it.

23. macrumors 604

Can we add the many annoying posts of "But it's not iPhone X, it's iPhone Y!"

24. macrumors 65816

Risco

Ok, it is really get out of hand now. I think there needs to be some kind of forum announcement for a list for a list of things that people are not allowed to say.

So far we have:

1. Steve would never allow this!
    2. It is not iPhone 5, it is iPhone X ( or something along those lines, at least while the rumours are going on )
    3. Slow news today
    4. Shut up and take my money
    5. Double down on secrecy

25. macrumors 603

troop231

Don't forget the "This should be on page 2... oh wait" posts