Steve Wozniak Interview on Apple

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Apr 11, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

NWSource publishes an brief Q&A session with Steve Wozniak, one of the co-founders of Apple Computer.

Wozniak reports that even he does not get a "heads-up" on upcoming Apple products and that he "would never ask" because he feels bad about "all the rumors and leaks from the inside." Woz also prefers to avoid the beta-hardware bugs and instead experience finished products like all the other consumers.

Woz also reveals he was only recognized once at an Apple store, and was given two 65-watt AC adapters for free.

According to the article, an autobiography entitled "I, Woz" will be published this fall.

2. macrumors regular

nataku

looks like Apple employess only bow down to one STEVE! :D

3. macrumors 68020

sunfast

I can't believe he doesn't get the "heads up" about new stuff. That'd be one of the best bits of working there!

4. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Woz is a very a unique and talented person to say the least. His circuit design is legendary.

The Woz, so cool! :D

The two Steve's are definitely different, that is for sure.

5. macrumors 6502a

Woz basically just slammed Boot Camp (the comment he made about beta software). I mean thats the most significant thing Apple has out thats in Beta, right?

6. macrumors 6502a

mcadam

2 AC adapters... is that it?! ... after all he's done!!

Edit - from woz.org:
    ... a few free t-shirts and he's happy. Cool guy. :)

A

7. macrumors 6502a

to be honest i wouldnt know him if i saw him and he IS apple, jobs just seems to be a marketing guy

I will be buying the book, and i think he should go back and work with apple!

8. macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

Of course ... as usual

A report will come out 2-3 days from now with a clarification ...

I don't know why he does these interviews ... most people take him totally out of context or selectively word their interviews with loaded questions that may not have been worded that way to Woz.

9. macrumors regular

Woz doesn't work for Apple. He hasn't for a long time.

10. macrumors regular

How is not wanting to use beta software, software that you've had no hand in designing, "slamming" anything? He simply doesn't wish to test software out on his computers. I'd hardly call that a "slam."

11. Guest

But as a shareholder, he is still one of the owners...:rolleyes:

12. macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

Did you hear this 30 anniversary podcast? they had Woz among other early days apple guys on VOIP. Woz sounds really like a tech nerd/genius to me. Quite the opposite of Steve (Jobs).

13. macrumors 6502a

hehe, he's a real engineer

14. macrumors 6502

HAHA! I did the exact same thing... thought "Oh, I just cant read right now", and went on to the next line!

very nice

15. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

uhh I read this like a month ago. This article isn't new, it's a good read, I'm just not sure why it's being posted now.

16. macrumors newbie

From what I've read, technically, he's still on the Apple payroll. He just isn't paid. And doesn't do anything. Just a symbolic thing.

17. macrumors 68020

That's really sad no one at the stores recognize him. It proves my theory that Apple retail hires a bunch of schmucks, who don't know Mac SE from Quadra. If they sell AppleCare, that's all that matters.

Personally, I would be ecstatic... hug him, get him to autograph my limbs, my PowerBook, etc. ;)

18. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

There is so much more to it than that, especially since 1997.

19. macrumors newbie

Recognize

Woz is a cool guy, but he gets recognized more than he leads on. I worked at the Santa Clara Apple store for two years and saw him in there atleast once a month. Everytime he came in the entire store recognized him and he loved every minute of it. Even customers came up to him for autographs. Sometimes we had to keep them away so he could shop. I think I've sold him about 4 PowerBooks and he never accepts the discount unless it's an educational discount. Cool guy. He carries around a stack of two dollar bills and charges people $3 for two of them and then signs them. If you ever see him in public ask him for one

20. macrumors regular

Typos anyone? That article was horribly edited

21. macrumors member

" I didn't say anything about who I was. And they bring them out. I say, "How much?" They say, "We are expensing it." I said, "Yeah, but how do I pay for it?" They said, "No, no, no — we are allowed to give gifts to special people.""

22. macrumors 6502

Woz DOES work for Apple, and has the entire time. He never quit. They have him unoffically represent Apple at various events. Check out Woz.org for more info.

23. macrumors member

he is a third grade teacher now, isn't he?

24. macrumors 65816

bankshot

Uhhhh, yeah. :rolleyes:

Notice any similarities here? :p

25. macrumors member

just have to love that guy lol.

now i feel like watching pirtates of silicon valley again