Steve Wozniak on Apple, Leopard and Jailbreaking the iPhone

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 31, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Steve Wozniak, co-founder of Apple, was interviewed by about various topics surrounding Apple.

Wozniak provides his insight into Leopard, Mac Marketshare, as well as some disappointment at the direction computers have gone:
    Also of interest, Wozniak is specifically asked about what his opinions are on the iPhone. Woz is clear that he feels that the iPhone should be "more like a computer" and Apple should allow anyone to develop applications for it. Regarding jailbreaking the iPhone for 3rd party applications:
    While Apple has announced they are working on a Software Development Kit to be released in February 2008, the details of the restrictions have not yet been announced.

Steve Wozniak co-founded Apple in 1976 along with Steve Jobs.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 68040

Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    I read the interview yesterday. I always really enjoy reading interviews with Woz.:)
  3. macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2007
    Orlando, FL
  4. macrumors 68020

Mar 1, 2004
    How much influence will he have though, speaking about it in his role.
  5. macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2007
    It's always nice to see a legend like Woz candidly speak about these issues. I mostly agree with him, especially on the iPhone. It's ridiculous that it is so locked down in almost every way. He is spot on that you should be able to install new programs and your own ringtones. It's also disgusting that Apple is charging an extra 99c just for using A SONG YOU ALREADY OWN to make a 30 sec ringtone. It's as if I purchase pepper from the store and I have to buy a separate one for every food. I have to buy one for soup, one for steak, etc. Apple shouldn't be allowed to do this; we shouldn't tolerate it.
  6. macrumors regular

Jul 11, 2006
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Its not that he has a lot of pull, so I imagine little or no influence. I think it isjust nice to hear from him being the creative mind that he is.
  7. macrumors member

Jul 25, 2002
    SEA, WA, US
    Woz is the MAN!!!!!!

The iPhone wants to be free. Let it fly, Steve Jobs.
  8. macrumors regular

Apr 27, 2007
  9. macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    WOZ is a legend... always enjoy reading Woz articles, cheers for that.
  10. macrumors member

Sep 28, 2007
    Oh, if only Woz could replace Mr. Jobs. That would be the day.
  11. macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Woz makes valid point. His opinions are often valid, as he has the benefit of being an insider, as well as being removed from the corporate voice of Apple, thus providing wonderful insight into Apple's products and policies.
  12. macrumors 68030

May 7, 2002
    2 Much Infinite Loops
    this may have been addressed one time or another but, re: iPhone, apple is partnering with att. don't you think it is att's idea of locking the phone? don't you think it is the riaa's idea of selling the songs again to create ringtones? maybe apple signed an nda to not discuss this. not defending apple, but this is one possibility.
  13. macrumors regular

Sep 30, 2007
    Perth, Australia.
  14. macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2003
    Tucson, AZ
    He seems perhaps more lucid to me in this interview than in some I've read. His point of view is always refreshing, however.
  15. macrumors 68040

Oct 23, 2006
    I didn't tolerate it. Jailbroken and unlocked. Oh well.
  16. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Woz is the bomb! He's awesome! :D

Any one who says bad stuff about him, obviously doesn't know what they are taking about.
  17. macrumors 68000

Jun 20, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    This was actually a pretty good interview. Kudos Laptop mag for not going for the dry played out questions he always seems to answer.
  18. macrumors member

Jan 25, 2007
    Portland, OR

I really think he is a cool guy. I like the way he thinks about computers. MAybe she should take more lead and take Apple a whole new level.....of course i dont think jobs will be too happy about it. :D
  19. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    yeah I agree. I think it is getting time for Jobs to step down. While Jobs is a good CEO when the company was in trouble right now with the company doing great I think he is a poor CEO and likes to have to much control. I do agree apple is rather very hypercritical in how they act. I can not stand hypocrites and that is what apple has become. Jobs is leading them down that path and it is getting time for him to step down and let some else take control and lead the company. It needs fresh leadership and some one who is less of a control freak. Apple is a huge control freak of a company.
  20. macrumors 68040

Jan 10, 2005
    Woz is a brilliant engineer. He's also quite insightful on many technical issues. But he's not a brilliant businessman. And the CEO of Apple needs to be a brilliant businessman rather than brilliant engineer.
  21. macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2007
    I couldn't disagree with you more. While Jobs may be turning into a control freak, I think him stepping down would do much more bad than good.
  22. macrumors 6502a

Sep 26, 2007
    Ah ah ah ah ah.

Ah ah ah ah ah....

Nice reading yes, but stop this no sense :-D
  23. macrumors newbie

Oct 10, 2007
    I remember in the recent Steve Jobs and Bill Gates interview when Jobs was asked about regrets and if he could have done anything different his response was along the lines of " I wish I hadn't been so restrictive with software".

Jobs was also a phone phreaker/hacker back in college. Now like so many successful businessmen, Jobs is more than likely paranoid that all he has built may collapse as he is only to aware of how he started in the first place.

Whilst Apples restrictions may make good short term financial sense, I feel that Steve Wozniak is more accepting that todays hackers and 3rd party developers are tomorrows innovators and need an open platform to experiment with.
  24. Guest

Dec 15, 2006
    Montréal, Canada
    i like to think that the steve jobs is actually trying to change the music and cell phone industry, and to do so apple's gotta play the big-business-game full of phony back-pats, cigars and hearty-laughter for a while... woz is a smart man, but he seems a bit... well... naive... :eek:
  25. macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2007
    ok ok. Woz............. is in a position............ where he doesn't have to be held accountable for what he says.

He may truly mean what he says but I think it's no coincidence the things he says garners support towards him as a 'leader' of the computer/mac movement ;) . It's pretty apparent he has support from people on the boards at least. Awesome politics; that's all I have to say about his interview(s).

I wonder if Steve J. is banging his forehead on the desk while reading his statements.