Steven Levy going to Wired

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 24, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

fixyourthinking

Great guy ... potentially taking Leander's place

Steven Levy is a great guy ... I hope he's going to take Leander Kahney's place.

3. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A year or so ago, I would not have called this a promotion. After all, Newsweek is a respected national magazine, and Wired has a spotty reputation. But now with all of the news magazines and newspapers going downhill rapidly I suppose this might even be a good move for a tech journalist. And a six-figure contract buyout -- wow!

4. macrumors 6502a

He probably got canned for losing (or pretending to lose) his loaner MacBook Air.

5. macrumors 68040

I wonder if he will continue to get special treatment from Cupertino now that he's working for these guys.

6. macrumors 6502

Hm. I thought this said Eugene Levy and clicked. Is there anything that guy won't do?

7. macrumors 68000

Nah, I would have always called that a promotion....

Say what you will about Wired magazine. They've always been considered a better source for *technical* stories and info than Newsweek! Newsweek is respected because it caters to the masses. Everyone's heard of it, and almost everyone has picked up a copy and read part of it while waiting for a haircut or a doctor's appointment. Schools commonly make students read it in class for projects, etc. Wired has a much sharper focus. They're about the "celebration of technology". If your focus as a writer is on technical topics, then Wired is a FAR better place to be than being forced to dumb-down everything for mass consumption in a generic "news magazine".

8. macrumors 68000

Silencio

If he brought Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Parker Posey, Bob Balaban and company along with him, then Wired might actually be worth reading again. :D

9. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Magazines like Newsweek used to be considered the A-team of journalism. No longer. Presumably this is why Levy was prepared to bail.

Wired has had some moments. I guess I'm reflecting on the lost potential, having watched them since the beginning. The tech magazine I really miss is Upside. They tried to be (for lack of a better description) the thinking-man's Wired. It didn't last long.