SteveNote is only 90 MINUTES

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Toe, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

The Stevenote is allegedly bringing:
    • New PowerBook
    • New eMac
    • New headless iMac
    • New iPhone
    • New Keynote
    • New Works application
    • New mystery apps (crossbow, slingshot)
    • Hey, the iPod, Xserve, and PowerMac are all overdue for an upgrade
    • Maybe somebody should mention Tiger?
    How the heck is Steve going to into anything near that much stuff (plus talk about the raging success of and expansion plans for ITMS and Apple Store) in 90 minutes?

Am I missing something? http://www.macworldexpo.com/live/20/events/20SFO05A/conference/tracksessions//QMONYA04N38P

2. Gherkin macrumors 6502

I guess the thing you are missing is that MacWorld isn't bringing all the stuff that you listed. For one thing, something like a Powerbook update won't even need an announcment if it's just a minor speed bump. That will just be an overnight update in the online store.

Also, remember how Steve said that they wanted to get away from announcing a ton of stuff during these conferences? Stuff like the iPhone will no doubt have their own little press conference and everything.

My prediction for the show is more Tiger stuff, the iWork suite, the increased iPod mini, and the headless iMac. I don't see much more being announced.

3. hyperb0le macrumors newbie

If I am remembering correctly, I believe that the official time is always 90 minutes, but it almost always ends up being 120 or 150 minutes. Basically, they tell Steve he has 90 minutes. However, once he gets up there, there's nothing they can do to stop him :) What are they gonna do? Tackle him and drag him off the stage? :D

4. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

...that the Mac fanatics are missing...

I was just pointing out that the rumor boards would have one believe that Steve is intro'ing everything including the iKitchenSink.

With 90 minutes, it sounds like he won't have time for more than, perhaps what you list. Even the phone is probably too soon, eh? Bummer....

5. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

This is just going to be a standard keynote. Take last years keynote: replace ipod mini intro with speed bumped powerbooks, replace that long garageband demo with intro of ilife 05 and productivity suite, and somewhere in the mix the new mac will be announced.

There may be some fidling with Tiger but Tiger demos are getting old and tease like with 3 demos and delivery.

Don't think i forgot about ipod stuff (ipod mini, flash, phone), all that is going to be unveiled at that thing in Australia.

6. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

1) Talk about market share and install base for macs, OSX and iPods
    -20 minutes

3) Say Tiger will be release in 2Q, and not go into it again since it was apart of last year.
    -10 minutes

4) New updates take the rest of the show -1 hour:
    -iPods state the updates and Possibly introduce new flash iPods
    -PB state the updates
    -Xservers state the updates
    -iWorks and show off the document maker, keynote has been around.
    -state that iLife is getting updates but not showing them off.
    -iPhone and showing it off.
    -Possible new Low end Mac, show it off.
    -Possible Powermac update now, or it just come a month later.

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

One year he said he had enough material for 2 Macworlds. I hope that happens again. He is probably fine tuning his speech now.

I predict he will use the word "Planet" at least once in his speech.

8. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

And what makes you think Planet is in it. Did you write his speech. Or do you think he is going to say something about OS X and how it was the fastest transition on the "Planet", again.

9. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

10. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I think the only time it was 120 mins was for WWDC 2003 .. all the other times it has been pretty close to 90 ..

11. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Yeah whatever :D :p

12. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

He will drink a glass of water twice during each demo session.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

He'd defend himself with *Crossbow* and *Slingshot*. :D:D

14. biscool macrumors member

You will be very disappointed. There is no way in hell they will introduce all of that stuff. Not to mention that they will not release a new ilife and not demo it...

15. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Actually he has one of those bottles of iWater ..

16. ifjake macrumors 6502a

all the little bump updates that could be there, Xserve, Powermac, and the like will either be addressed by some blanket statement or not until februrary or something like that. really the only thing i think that will be addressed are the new possible products: iWork, headless iMac, and maybe the iPhone (i think the iPhone would need a separate release event). the iPod will only be used as an introduction to Apples other products, like a bridge, and won't be dwelt upon.

what Steve really needs to accomplish at MacWorld is making all those new eyes that were attracted by the iPod look beyond the iPod to Apple's other offerings. i think that is key. the iPod is very faddish, "in fashion." Apple can't just ride the iPod till it goes out of fashion.

the rest here gets increasingly speculative, and could be just glanced over. Asteroid, the rumored audio interface, won't be talked about till iLife 05 (with GarageBand 2.0) is released, which won't be talked about till Tiger is released. iLife's major new features will require Tiger. i'm getting more confident in saying that. really iLife 04 as it is works great, the only real additions i can think of are ones that take advantage of the new frameworks being put in place by Tiger. actually i think what would make the most sense overall would be for everything to be released in two or three months, every new software package requiring Tiger, and everything new coming with Tiger pre-installed. all the great new bundled software (Tiger, iLife, iWork) would make buying a mac more attractive, and iWork and iLife requiring Tiger would push current mac owners to upgrade to Tiger.

17. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

...i agree. Except add iLife 05. Everyone is over guessing and you'll all be boo hissing when you don't get what you thought. Its not that big of a deal.

18. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

My prediction:

First order of business is some Christmas numbers for the investors. These should be pretty impressive, if somewhat tempered by the iPod shortage hitting just a little bit too early.

Secondly, Tiger. Just some discussion of it, maybe a new feature demo and probably an ETA

Thirdly, speed bumps (PowerBook, Xserve) en passant, perhaps 80-gig iPod of some sort.

Fourthly, new iLife with demo -- possibly some sort of musical interlude.

Fifthly, office suite with demonstration -- or at least Keynote 2.

Sixthly and finally, any new Macs, probably just for ogling (unless it comes before iLife and any productivity software, in which case it will be the demo box).

19. Zaty macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure we'll see a new Tiger demo which might be shorter than last year's demo but I don't see Steve Jobs talking about the greatest OS on the Planet without showing off some new features, especially those that haven't been publicly shown yet.

20. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

I only hope they update the widgets in dashboard. Those things look hideous.

21. Zaty macrumors 65816

So far, so good

New PBs won't be announced during the keynote, they will come two weeks later or so. As for the Xserves, if they get an update, Steve Jobs might takte the opportunity to talk about the success Apple has had with the new G5s.

No doubts here.

After the latest development, iWork will come for sure.

What will be the "one more thing"?

22. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

iMac G5 socks .. :p

23. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I do not believe that we will see any PowerBook, eMac, Xserve or Powermac updates. The if PB's are going G5 these will get announced at WWDC. All the other products ( including the PB's if only speed bumped) will get released over the next 2/3 months.

Flash iPod may get announced together with small update to iPod mini (HD going from 4GB to 5GB).

New version of iLife will get a demo.

Not sure about iPhone, it really depends if Apple / Moto have something to demo or not at this stage.

I am sure we will get some update on Tiger, although I will probably fall asleep in they go through the WWDC 03 and Paris demo's yet again. Hopefully an announcement when it will ship, but that could be saved for the WWDC.

New version of Keynote is a certainty as it looks as though it has been used for recent Keynotes, and iWorks or whatever the update to Appleworks is going to be called.

Headless iMac would also be ideal MWSF material if true.

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The huge lists of stuff that "wille come with MacWorld" are simply hilarious. You guys never learn, do ya?

I think the announcements at MacWorld will be limited to 5 items. If you look at the Apple home page, and the past MacWorlds, you will understand. My hunch is that those 5 will be Asteroid, iLife, iWork, some new iPods and the headless iMac. That is it.

25. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I agree, except I think we will see Keynote V2 (unless you consider that to be part of iWork), we may also see something on the new iPhone, except I suspect it may be too early for that (WWDC).