Steve's Slideshows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CubaTBird, Jan 9, 2005.

1. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

I notice at the various macworlds and wwdc's that in steve's slideshows, he using a lot of symbolism.. he's presentations get right to the point without getting to much text in there... for example at my high school i see kids everyday with presentations that keep going on and on with useless text.. i think the power of symbols, like pictures, make a much bigger impact.. and if you can speak on them, even better :)

o btw, over 500 posts! w00t! ne body like my avatar? :D

2. mms macrumors 6502a

That is the way slideshow presentations were meant to be - give an overview on screen and give the rest of the information orally. Nobody wants to read slide after slide of information in tiny letters that the speaker is going to go over anyways. You'd think it would be common sense but apparently many people are deviating from that principle to put the entire speech, word-for-word, on the screen. I see it at my high school too, in surprising numbers.

3. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Then there's the people who put too many special effects and flying text in their Power Point presentations. I hate that.

4. mms macrumors 6502a

Yes, that's the problem as more and more people use PowerPoint for presentations. Everybody's presentation format and transitions begin to look exactly the same. Overusing the transitions makes your slide show look predictable and not at all unique. I find that simplifying a slide show (I don't use any transitions, ever) is on the contrary better for making yourself stand out. Especially high school presentations nowadays are turning into a who-can-stick-the-most-transitions-into-the-slideshow competition.

5. j_appel macrumors member

I had a college professor that used nothing but PowerPoint and he'd read each slide word for word. He even made copies of his slides and handed them out to everyone in class. His lectures were very boring and useless as a result.