Stevia Extract

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Nov 28, 2005.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Here's something interesting that's just coming on the market; stevia extract. My mother is pre-diabetic, and has to monitor her sugar intake very closely. She stopped using splenda because of some information about weight gain, mood swings, and processing with things like benzene; we've tried this, and it's extremely sweet (and therefore must be used sparingly) but seems to work. Has anyone heard of this stuff before?

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Yep, my mom uses it. She is also diabetic and says this is the best sweetener out there. Stevia currently cannot be sold in the US as a sweetener. The official reason for this that the FDA has not been able to determine if it safe for consumption in large quantities, but I have also heard that it is a result of intensive lobbying by the sugar industry (stevia is used widely in other countries with no problems). It can be sold as a dietary supplement however, so look in health food or vitamin stores if you want to find it. The stuff is extremely sweet so use it sparingly.
    More information on Stevia, including supposed reasons the FDA does not want to to market it in the US, can be found at http://www.cspinet.org/nah/4_00/stevia.html. You can also find recipes for using it at www.stevia.com

3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

It's been around for quite a while. I've used it for years. It is extremely sweet and is sold in both liquid and powder form. I love it. It doesn't add calories or carbs and it doesn't have that bitter after-taste of traditional sugar replacements. I was recently at a natural food store and saw that they are now making flavored versions...I bought Peach (I use it in Kool-Aid) and Toffee (great for coffee...this way you don't have to stink up your coffee pot making flavored coffee...it's also great for dieters who want a little treat). It is extremely potent, only 2-4 drops is needed per an average sized cup of coffee or tea. One bottle lasts forever.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

never heard of it... but want to look in to it now... interesting links... :D