Stevie resists music industry's greed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by floyde, Sep 20, 2005.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
    If this has been posted before then we need a new search feature ;)

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Greedy record companies' days are numbered. Soon, it'll just be the artist, the promoter and iTMS.

Steve has envisioned this future going forward.
  3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    I hope that iTMS really is the future of music distribution, and I really can't believe that the record companies want to keep gouging consumers.

I don't agree with piracy, but if it serves to pressure record companies towards more reasonable prices like those at iTMS than it is a necessary evil.
  4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Secret Moon base
    I think we have already seen an example of him facing them down in the Japan iTMS. Sony likely said "accept our price or you don't get our songs."

Steve likely said, "OK, you don't want to sell to the iPod? Fine." and opened without them.

So now Sony is losing gobs of money because they can't sell to Japanese iPod users. If the Nano is successful that will give Steve even more negotiating power. The ability of Steve to face them down all depends on the success of the iPod.
  5. katchow macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2002
    Dayton, Ohio
    i always envisioned the price coming down. guess i was way off base.
  6. Shelax macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2005
  7. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2005
    Typical RIAA swine, want more money to pay for their luxurious houses in exclusive suburbs, their vacations, etc. I applaud Steve for pointing out that they are competing with piracy and I for one *LOVE* iTunes, I don’t have to buy a $16-17 CD with only 2-3 songs I like and the rest are crap, I pick my own songs, mix and match and buy em, if the RIAA wants to take that away from me or gouge me on individual songs then f*ck them all, I hope each executive goes broke and ends up on the street.

RIAA = Swine
  8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! Then I'd have to get a real job :eek:
  9. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Countless people feel as you do. Record company execs are hypocritical windbags. Between the current ITMS availability and, of course, many other offerings from the public library, I have a music library I am very pleased with.
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Only problem is that as this happens and Steve starts selling music from musicians NOT with the RIAA or big record companies, larger record companies will see this and say they're pulling out because Steve is promoting the "independent way" too much and is helping musicians cut out the middle man (ie: the record companies).

I hope musicians just sell online and promote using a separate company, but I don't think that'll happen for a while, because Steve can't be involved in that directly. Otherwise he'd lose the trust of all major labels.
  11. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Same here. The iTMS is just brilliant. It's a shame some artisits aren't on it yet but I hope it'll change in the years to come.

Imagine having everything you could buy in record shops available to purchase and download anytime, anywhere you want.

It's madness not to be part of iTunes music store.
  12. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Now that is a mouth-watering possibility ... I hope it becomes a reality.