Stick or Automatic Transmission?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by OutThere, Nov 2, 2005.

1. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I had a pretty bad experience the other day driving my friend's automatic transmission car...I went to slow down for a stop light and hit the brake looking for the clutch...:eek: Needless to say we left some rubber behind!

Anyway, I can't stand automatics (partially for this reason) how about you all...?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

drive them both but the stick shift give u more control of the car and to add it feels good burning in 5th gear

Bless

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There's also that feeling that an automatic is trying to accelerate without you if you haven't driven one for a while. Creepy! And those Tiptronic-style shifters are no substitute for the real thing. They're just plain icky.

4. juicedus macrumors member

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

depends on the car, if its a normal car automatic, but if its a sports car then stick....
    or u can get the triptronic thing when its both....

6. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

No debate necessary. 5-speed. My girlfriend has a stomp-and-steer and whenever I drive it I invariably always try to find the nonexistant clutch.

7. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

Stick all the way. I definitely feel more in control. I only wish my company car had them.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Sounds like a lot of user error is going on. ;)

Living in LA there is no way in hell I would want a stick. If I owned a sports car and didn't do much city driving I'd take a stick. But for day in/day out normal driving sticks just drive me nuts. I just want to the car to get me from point A to point B w/the least amount of hassle on my part. Kinda like why I prefer OS X to Windows. :p

Lethal

9. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

when my dad and I drove from Houston to Dallas (to catch a flight to LA, then drive to SF.. hehe) he let me drive a while.

OMG. GIANT TRUCK WITH STICK.
    I'm always in a tiny camry
    with automatic
    I DON'T GET IT.
    the whole clutch thing.. I'm not strong enough to push it, so I always end up almost STANDING when I have the clutch in, it's soo horrible!

I LOVE YOU, AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION!

/if you were human
    //or if I were a transmission
    ///giggity.

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

I'm a little crummy with stick. I'm still learning, and its still creepy. There's no Parking you have to use the manual/parking brake. At least that how it is on my dad's truck (Soon to be mine once I'm good :eek: ). I'd rather drive auto, but aparently its not as cool :cool:. I've been driving automatics for a couple years, so its a little hard to get used to... But I'm learning :eek:

11. jestershinra macrumors regular

It's unquestionably easier to learn on an automatic, but I think once you're a pretty good driver, you can get more out of a stick.

12. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

It's gotta be stick. I special ordered my car just so I could have one. I need the control for icy mountain roads.

Automatics are only good when I want to eat, talk on phone, drink coffe, put on make-up, watch TV (simultaneously, of course).

13. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

What is this "control" you guys all rave about? I've never felt out of control while driving an automatic. I've always thought stick was for those more powerful cars, where automatic transmission isn't possible.

All we regular people need is something that gets you from point A to point B? Or am I missing something? :confused:

14. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

Not really. Triptronic is very different from a manual. It is hard to explain but I feel that it is much harder to know when to shift (they seem to shift differently somehow) and it doesn't really help with the car's acceleration at all.

I would take a manual over a triptronic any day.

15. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Driving down slick roads, your breaks can lock up to where ABS is pretty much useless. If you downshift, you can use the compression of the engine to slow down.

If your car dies (from dead battery, say) you can clutch start it.

If you get caught in the middle of a river and water has flooded the engine (most common for use for me ;) ) you can leave it in gear, and turn the key in the ignition to crawl out of the water (run the wheels off the battery, basically).

And of course, there's going up hills where automatics always seem to shift at the wrong time.....

16. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

17. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

18. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Well. Learn something everyday :) . Cool. I didn't know that. Suddenly stick doesn't seem all that useless (Not useless in a literal sense, but rather "Why move a stick around when you can have the car do it for you?") I guess stick does have its benefits (Besides being used on more powerful vehicles)

I'm learnin' :cool:

19. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

My daughter's first car, for starting college last year, was a stick. A five speed. She loves it. Our son got an automatic (said he doesn't multitask as well). We've had both automatic and sticks over the years. Once you get the stick down, it's like driving an automatic. Both have their advantages. Those who have to dead stop and negotiate hills (San Francisco, etc.) and feel threatened or nervous about rolling backwards in to the car behind should probably know how to handle those kinds of scenarios. But I like both for differing reasons.

20. Pauliography macrumors newbie

Pauliography

Compression braking is the only way to keep the tailgaters at bay. These people are like Pavlov's dogs - if they don't see brakelights they freak out and stay way back, all they know is stop and go - someone should tell them about coast. Plus if you are at a stop light and go with out your brakes turning off, they don't even notice that you are gone till they are getting honked at from behind. So I say save your brakes - use your brain and drive stick!

21. OutThere thread starter macrumors 603

OutThere

The parking brake is easy to forget :)D) and vital...get in the habit of putting the car in gear after shutting it off, especially on hills. The engine compression will keep the car from moving if the brake happens to not work right (which can happen). :)

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Have an automatic, wish I got a stick, next car will be a stick.

23. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I've driven and owned both stick and automatic transmission car. I prefer stick myself. however I do like the new DSG transmission from Audi even though it's an automatic trans it does a pretty good job of holding the revs at a certain level and it handles the downshifts rather well.

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Stick is just awesome. It also prevents others from wanting to drive your car. It really is easy once you get used to it, even in heavy traffic it just becomes second nature. It just makes driving that much more fun.

Anytime you switch to an automatic though it tough for the first few mins to get readjusted.

25. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I got a stick in boston (tons of traffic), drove it out to seattle (hills to rival SF) and will only consider an automatic for a towing vehicle (the fluid clutch is much less prone to overheating with large weight). Even with a low powered car, having a stick allows you to easily navigate hills (once you learn how to slip the clutch so you can start on 40 deg grades).

BEN