Stick with Powermac or upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bob Jovi, Jan 2, 2007.

  1. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #1
    I've got a 2.3 powermac with 2GB RAM that I use for day-to-day stuff and FCS. I am very tempted by the price of a refurb 2.16 MBP and was wondering if I upgraded would it be worth it? As I can't justify owning both.
     
  2. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #2
    I think your best upgrade at the moment would simply be to add another 2 GB of RAM to your tower and wait for the Quad Core machines with Leopard
    later this spring.

    The MBP's essentially have the same specs as an iMac without the storage.

    If your primary applications are still PPC, you're not going to see any appreciable increase in performance until everything you use is universal binary.
     
  3. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #3
    The MBP is great, but the question is, are you happy enough with your PowerMac to wait for the next upgrade?
     
  4. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #4
    yeah I'm very happy with it but would like the option of being able to take my mac with me to work. Would there be any point getting a 2.0 macbook for £629 and keeping the powermac. Also would another 2GB RAM make a big difference in the powermac for FCS?
     
  5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

    SmurfBoxMasta

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    I'm only really here at night.
    #5

    yes, mAxDaRam :)

    good it will be 4 u!
     
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

    mkrishnan

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2004
    Location:
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    #6
    How much more use would you get out of it if you were using it both at home and work? Seems like that's the deciding factor. You're certainly not lugging the PM back and forth!
     
  7. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #7
    As long as you're not planning any heavy HD content rendering while on the road, a MacBook with 2 GB RAM would round out your system nicely.

    The MacBook would be perfectly fine for showing off your work and most other portable essentials.

    You still really need a pro desktop for any heavy lifting and for the storage if you're taking full advantage of what Final Cut Studio has to offer.

    If you're thinking destop replacement in a portable, I'd wait for the Penryn
    processor models when they make their debut.

    I wish we could say that Apple will release a smaller MBP soon with any confidence, but that is also a possibility that would be perfect in your situation.
     
  8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

    fivetoadsloth

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #8
    Yes, I think that you getting a macbook ould be easily justifiable. The macbook would be able to do everytihng you need, though it might be a litte slow with really large files in final cut. As long as you max the ram itll be fine.
     
  9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

    Lord Blackadder

    Joined:
    May 7, 2004
    Location:
    Sod off
    #9
    A MacBook would make a great second computer.
     
  10. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #10
    Your most usable performance gain is going to come from running any Pro application with 4 GB RAM these days in any workstation.

    You'll be getting 2 GB RAM for your PowerMac at literally half the cost of what people are paying to configure their Intel Mac Pros with 2 GB extra RAM.

    You might also consider running either an internal or external 10K Raptor drive for your big projects.

    My daughter's C2D MacBook 2.0 GHz with the stock 80 GB HD and 2 GB RAM from Apple with a modem ( ugh-dialup ) ran me $1,400.00 US education.

    It'll push my Dell 24" display with no problem.

    I wish I had one :(
     
  11. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #11
    Thanks for the help. I think I might wait until after the expo then decide. Then the prices of refurbs may come down a bit more?
     
  12. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #12
    If you watch the refurb listings every day, you should be able to grab a C2D
    model when one comes up, but they'll go really fast.

    It's too bad your company can't assign you a project over here.

    You guys in the U.K. really get hammered on these prices with VAT and everything.
     
  13. Bob Jovi thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #13
    yeah you would have thought that being a US company they'd like to send me over so I could by one in the US. I was thinking of taking a trip over to NY just to get one though as I can get almost free flights. seems like a lot of hard work though!
     
  14. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #14
    Talk to your boss or the purchasing department and give them the prices
    both U.S. and U.K. and maybe they'll consider giving you at least some of your purchase price as an equipment allowance.
     

Share This Page