Stick with the old?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dallasuo, Jul 21, 2005.

1. dallasuo macrumors member

I just got my new ibook earlier this week, which I have been holding off from buying for about 3 months now. I am enjoying it as this is my first mac. Now all the warning signs are going off about updates. I have until the 27th to send this one back, but I would have to pay the open box fee. I guess the extent of the updates will help in determining wether or not to send this one back in order to get the updated version. Is paying the open box fee worth getting the most up-to-date product or should I just not worry about it?

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

I'd probably take whatever price match they give you on this unit. I doubt it would make sense to pay the 15% restocking fee. You're looking at paying something like $150 extra to upgrade.

Did you by any chance do the iPod Student Union promotion? If you did, I'd guess you could probably peddle both the iPod and the iBook on eBay and come out probably even if you really wanted to get the new version on Tuesday (I'm assuming Tuesday here).

3. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Hang on to what you have for now. Wait til Tuesday or whenever to see what the updates are. Then determine whether the updates are worth paying the restock fee or not. Also, see how much Apple will refund you since they'll have to lower the prices on current models, and factor that into the equation too.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

There is always going to be something new coming out. Also there is no guarantee that there will indeed be an update coming next week. If you are enjoying you new iBook, just keep it for now. That way when the Rev. B Intel iBook is available you may be ready to purchase again.