Sticky Spacebar!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcs37, Jul 18, 2005.

1. mcs37 macrumors regular

mcs37

Ack!!! After my most recent trip, I come home and my spacebar isn't working as well... in fact I'm having to hit it two or three times every other word to space! Is there a way to have this fixed? I am still under warranty for another two weeks!

2. aboutthat macrumors regular

Quick addendum to the question:

Does the warranty/AppleCare (broke down and shelled out the cash) apply to squeaky keys as well? I like to type with a space bar (postswrittenlikethistendtogetabitannoying)...

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

My dad has the same laptop as the one in my sig and for some reason the spacebar stopped working. Averatec took it back and replaced it free.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You should either call AppleCare or take your Mac to your local Apple Store. Hopefully you purchased AppleCare. When I had a keyboard that was acting up, had to replace the keyboard.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Since its a 1.33Ghz Powerbook, I'm assuming it is past warranty. My suggestion, pull off the keyboard (like you're adding memory) and see if you can get the space bar off (it just snaps into the keyboard slot). Use some rubbing alcohol and some canned air to just clean up the area around the space-bar. I've had many space-bars stick and freeze up on me, just cause excessive use, and dirty hands.

This is typically faster than Apple-Care, of course this is if you feel comfortable doing this. If not, definitely take it to a repair location.

6. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

The PowerBook G4 Aluminum series of notebooks do NOT have a semi-removal keyboard like the previous Titanium and iBook G3 did. Do NOT pull on your AL's keyboard or you will warp/bend/damage it. In order to get the keyboard off you must first remove a security screw located in the bottom battery bay where your AirPort Extreme card is located.

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I stand corrected. Ooops.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Just because it's 1.33 GHz doesn't mean it's out of warranty, not to mention the fact that he said his warranty goes for 2 more weeks. They were still selling 1.33 GHz 12" PBs until January of this year. I got mine last October.

Anyway, seeing as how you're under warranty, take it in. It might be a good idea to buy AppleCare while you still can. You can buy AppleCare anytime within the first year.