Sticky trackpad from soda, help?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Demon Hunter, May 11, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    I opened a can of pop and it splashed a little on my PowerBook -- it was just streak near my Trackpad. I wiped it down with some water using my microfiber cloth, and now one side of it has a sticky response. It seems to "double" click as I press down slowly, and one side seems a little higher than the other. What should I do?

I should add that it works just fine.
  2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Are you talking about the button being higher on one side and double-clicking, or the trackpad itself? I don't know any good way to clean the button, although I suppose, that if it works, then more and more clicking might eventually work all the crap out of there! :eek:
  3. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Hehe, yeah, I am hoping that will fix it, because I'm afraid a drop or two of soda might have gone below the button, causing the right side to be like this. It's unnerving because it makes a really loud CLICK now. I HATE SODA
  4. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Would it be safe to douse with a little bit of water when turned off? :confused:
  5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Momma always said soda was bad for us. :(

I don't recommend dousing in water, but maybe spraying some Windex onto a very soft cloth (with no pith) and wiping the trackpad to get rid of some of the stickiness. This doesn't solve you're unevenness problems though, sorry.
  6. Cold_Steel macrumors member

May 4, 2005
    Glouscestershire, UK
    the last few powerbooks ive had the right side of the button was always slightly higher than the left. I put it down to the fact that the left side of the button is where i always click.

Dont know where your from, but in the uk we have this fluid that you can buy in a hardware store thzt when applied to sticky stuff will disolve it wipe it away leaving nothing behind AND more importantly no damaged to walss and surfaces etc. Its in all good harware stoers...cant remember the name bottle...

7. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    Ok... gritting my teeth, I let a few drops of water in where the soda went. It's still workin fine and the stickiness is gone. It's a bit easier to press, but I can live with that.