StifleStand zip download Problem with the Icon.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Rory Manton, Oct 9, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Ok, I admit it I am anal when it comes to my home screens, I like them to be uncluttered with pointless icons, files and other things so , in my stupidity I downloaded StifleStand to get rid of the pointless newsstand icon on my phone and pad. Now ,however I am stuck with the file/folder thing stuck on my mac as it won't delete. No mater what I try I get the following message

The item “StifleStand.zip.download” can’t be moved to the Trash because it can’t be deleted.

Can anybody help an idiot get rid of it please?

Thanks

Rory

2. Guest

WeegieMac

If you can get the file into the trash, enable "Secure Empty" on your trash then right click on the trash can and select "Secure Empty Trash". I use this method often to remove files which give me that error.

3. Rory Manton, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

When dragged across to the bin it won't even illuminate the bin to let you dump it in. Very frustrating.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Update. Being the smart cookie (sic) that I am I decided to restore my desktop to a time previous to this insidious piece of crap appearing on it. I am now left with a grayed out icon that I still cant get rid off but I can no longer click on to open or do anything too.