Still did not switch HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nyprospect, May 15, 2004.

1. nyprospect macrumors 6502

Im thinking about purchasing a g5 i will probably wait until the convention.but i highly doubt im going to be able to afford anything passed 3000 i could go 2000 but i prefer to save do you think we will see new imacs? or a g5 cube .is the 1.6 g5 any good.this is what i do on my pc my surf and um thats it.i recently saw a video on ilife and it was great .id like to try out the osx are the imacs gonna become exstinct? (discontinued)

2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

if all you do is browse the internet a reva bondi blue imac will work :D
    but id wait for wwdc i highly doubt imacs will go without an update and the you can pick up a rev a g5 cheap if you want to try osx theres a program called pear pc tht will emulate on windows but be fore warned pearpc is EXTREMELY slow

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

The iMac will be fine for you. The Powermac is too big and doesn't suit your needs. Wait until WWDC, unless you're really itching to get an iMac. The current iMacs are more than powerful enough to surf the internet and would be good if you wanted to try out iLife.

JOD8FY

4. JasonL macrumors regular

You definitely don't need to spend $3k to get a system that will work great for you.

However, the current iMacs are in serious need of an update. If you were to ever want to play a game (god forbid!), or actually do some video editing, you'd really appreciate something a bit stronger than the iMac. You can get a G5 1.8 SP refurb for $1599 ($1399 for the 1.6; but the 1.8 is definitely worth the extra $200 if you've got it) from the applestore site. If you already have a monitor, that's like iMac money. If not, it still isn't much more.

Just my $0.02.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes, it's $200 for 2 extra pairs of memory slots -- which translates into doing 3 memory upgrades in the 1.8 SP before you start deciding which DIMMs to toss in a drawer vs. 1 lousy memory boost in the 1.6 SP before you start tossing DIMMs in the drawer.

The difference between PCI and PCI-X is meaningless unless you have PCI-X cards, since both machines require 3.3v cards.

---

Basically wait for the updates and take a look at the middle machine, unless Apple addresses the current shortcomings of the low-end PowerMac.

6. DGFan macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling they'll keep the price-points about the same (or at least similar to what they were when the G5s first came out). So I would think you'd be able to get a 2.0 - 2.2 Ghz single processor machine for around 1800-2000. If you wanted to max that bad boy out with RAM (non-Apple, of course), HD, and video card you could probably have a really nice system for $3k.

All guessing of course....
    :)

7. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

8. JasonL macrumors regular

Faster bus speed, too. Oh, yeah, bigger HD (80GB vs. 160GB) and faster RAM as well (DDR333 vs. DDR400). Still think it's not worth the $200? :rolleyes:

As far as the new PBs go, they would be more than capable of fulfilling your needs; but I would only get one if you really need the portability (like I do). Otherwise, you can get a lot more machine for your money by going with a desktop.

9. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Another way you can look is getting a new G4. The single processor 1.25G is going for 1299.00 and the duel 1.25 is 1599.00. For what you are going to use it for, you can get away with the single g4, get a 17" Apple monitor for 699.00 (or third party monitors sold on Apple's website at a fraction of that cost) and get a really good computer at about mid range iMac money. In addition to that, you get expandabilty with the tower that you won't with the iMac at a lower cost than the new G5s.

10. nyprospect thread starter macrumors 6502

i was thinking about the pm g4 mirrored but are they on they way out? i know apple still sells them but there gonna be the low end machines soon .im using a p4 3gig rig man this sux lol i really would love a g5 cube or a g5 in a mid tower those towers look like ice boxes

11. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

An refurb eMac ($649 or $699) will surf and work with iLife excellently! Don't buy a G5!

The iMacs aren't likely to be discontinued.