Still haven't bought a keyboard. Axiom good?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Sesshi, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Sesshi
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors G3

Sesshi

Question as title. The Axiom 49 is what I'm considering. It'll fit in the under-table drawer for my new desking arrangement so seems ideal. I've also discovered a hack on the web of making it work with Garageband (which I'm finding quite nice to start with).

2. theblotted
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

theblotted

can't believe you need an acutal hack to make it work.

the regular driver won't let you?

i use M-Audio Keystation 61es myself. it's simply a controller, looks real simple and elegant. i don't need to go crazy on knob twisting (i got enough other gear to let me do that) MIDI wise, so i like it.

i also like the semi-weighted action. i like the regular weighted feel of piano, but i also like how quickly a non-weighed key jump back (useful for solo's, etc.). so this is happy in-between.

it also fits nicely on my table setup too.

oh yeah, no driver needed, as it's universal.

just some stuff to consider.

3. Sesshi
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

The Axiom uses the same semi-weighted action as far as I'm aware, and it dispenses with some of the needs to have a control surface. While using the temporary keyboard I actually bought the Mackie Control in the end but quite apart from the fact that I realised - after the gearhead mist had cleared - that it was massively overkill for my needs (not that that ever stopped me :D ), I found that I had nowhere realistic to put it - so back it went.

For my humble needs I'm actually quite happy with Garageband at the moment, so the fact the transport controls work with it is a bonus. (the iControl is the only surface as far as I know which natively supports garageband) I plan to add in Ableton as that method of working is how I think I prefer to fiddle with music (and the Axiom supports Ableton as well).

4. henk12321
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

henk12321

I was planning to buy the Axiom 61 myself, but it doens't work with Garageband?!:confused: