Still having issues with iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by twomiracles, Jan 10, 2007.

1. twomiracles macrumors regular

Okay, you may remember I had this problem before. I click on a photo in iPhoto and it tells me the volume for the photo cannot be accessed. Well, I have since then reinstalled the OS, reformatted the external hard drive to the Mac OS Extended format and then recopied over all the photos. Used iPhoto Buddy to create libraries for each year so that there aren't 11,000 photos in one library. In fact, this one might have 1000 at most. Tonight, same thing happened, tried to just look at a couple of photos and gave me that message and locked up. Force Quit isn't in the menu and no matter how many times I click Quit, nothing happens. So, what's up with this?

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

First of all Right Click (or control-click) the iPhoto icon in the Dock and then press Option. Force Quit will come up.

Second of all, I can only imagine this is a problem with the external drive you're using and/or the use of multiple libraries in iPhoto. Maybe access the photos when you know the 2nd drive is not being used by anything else. Good luck.

3. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

Gimmeslack12, thanks, didn't know about the right-click + option thing.

I don't see how it can be a problem with the drive when I can browse right to the photos in finder with no problem. The 2nd drive wasn't being used by anything else when I tried to access the photos...and why does iPhoto just completely lock up when this happens?

Also, why does it keep telling me to rebuild my thumbnail cache?

4. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Do you know if you are pointing to the correct drive (in iPhoto) that those pictures are stored on? It almost sounds like iPhoto is looking for them somewhere else, possibly somewhere that doesn't exist, which is causing it to lock up.

Regarding how it tells you to rebuild your thumbnail cache...I don't know - I get that too sometimes. I always hit 'ok' to do it now and have to wait forever for it to finish, becuase I'm afraid something may get more screwed up if I don't do it right away...

5. twomiracles thread starter macrumors regular

another iPhoto question

Is there a way to tell iPhoto to automatically import any photos that are added to a specific folder?