Still in love, one year later

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plarusa, Nov 6, 2006.

1. plarusa macrumors member

Feb 28, 2006
    I switched to the MAC a year ago from the PC world, and never looked back since. I am now the proud owner of a wonderful 17" MacBook Pro. It is fast, it is pretty, and it is the most versatile machine on the planet. It integrates seamlessly with all my other Unix machines using SSH, X and NFS. It plays with the Windows work machines using MSFT Remote Desktop and Samba. It runs MSFT Office, integrate to the work Exchange server with Entourage. It even runs Windows when I need with Parallels Workstation (and soon VMWare). It is also an extraordinarily able multimedia machine, with iTune, iMovie and iDVD. Windows (Vista included) and all the other Unix flavors don't even come close in usability. At last, I have seen the light, and found the ultimate platform :D.
  2. levitynyc macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2006
    I am still in love after my 4th day with my 24" iMac.

I just love how smooth the OSX is. No waiting for programs to load. No Control Alt Delete.... this is fantastic. I only wish my work computer would be a mac.
  3. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

Jul 9, 2005
    The town without George Bailey
    Me too! I was trying to fix a router problem on a friend's pc yesterday. It was a brand new computer running xp, yet I had to wait about two minutes for all the crap that was already on it to load in the task bar, and then I had to right click and shut down all the crap I didn't want starting automatically.

The 3rd party firewall was horrendous - I had to stare at the software for about two minutes before I understood what it even was.

I love how you log into OS X, and you're faced with a beautiful clean desktop without sixty-four icons in the right hand corner, and little speech bubbles popping up telling you your virus software is out of date.
  4. gigiuk macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2006
    The mac

The crazy thing is the mac has been the best platform for many years and I still I don’t get why most people are still using windows:confused:
  5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    Conngrats on the switch! Glad its all worked out great for you :)

yeah, that one has puzzled me for years now...
  6. xappeal macrumors regular

Dec 9, 2005
    Brisbane - Australia
    I love my Macs, but honestly it hasn't been the best platform for that long.

Tiger really cemented many great 'ideas' from the previous versions of OS X that hadn't really lived up to expectations. Tiger stopped me from buying a pc. Leopard looks to me like it will consolidate many of the things that have been great in OS X.

What has enhanced the platform in my mind has been the switch to intel, the ability to run a FAST emulated version of windows when you have to, and OS X the rest of the time.

Mac owners are in the best position possible, as is the platform, to thrive beyond vista.

I think Apple now has the best platform, I can't wait for the next few years of products!!
  7. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Stockholm Syndrome.
  8. gigiuk macrumors newbie

Jul 30, 2006
    Well MS-DOS got me to run for System 6 when I first had the need for a computer...
  9. Markleshark macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2006
    Carlisle, Up Norf!
    lmao. So True.
  10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    I'm still in love with mine after three years.

Of course, we don't stay up late at night as much anymore - and she's not as fast as she once was, but she still gets the job done.
  11. maskd macrumors newbie

Oct 31, 2006
    I just thought I'd mention that it's not Windows' fault that all that crap is down on the taskbar, or that the computer is bogged with viruses/anti-virus software, but the users. :)

I timed my Windows machine from a cold start and it takes 47 seconds and I'm at a usable desktop, pretty good if you ask me. Oh, and there's only 1 icon on the right-hand side of the taskbar: volume control ;)

If I may fiddle with a popular quote:

"Don't hate the game, hate the player"

I am yet to own a Mac (getting one as soon as the Core 2 Duo MacBooks come out), but I am looking forward to the new experience. I'm hoping that it'll be enjoyable as others.