Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JUCJ85

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
My view is that 16GB is enough for some but the other (like myself) need just a bit more and 64GB is way to much for the price increase. I think Apple should still do an 32GB option at half the price difference between the 16GB and the 64GB. But it's a good move on Apple behalf as I had no choice but to spend the extra for the 64GB.
I have to respectfully disagree, I think 100 more is fair for 64GB, and then 100 more for 128GB, I originally had a 64GB 6 Plus, and this time I knew I needed the max, so went with 6S+ 128GB.

Would be nice for Apple to make 32GB standard.

wproct

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
Iowa
I have around 16g of music on my laptop, but only around 250 songs on my Iphone, don't need the whole library on my phone. I have somewhere around 650 pictures on the phone. I have also added probably around 18-20 apps. I still have around 5g of space available on my phone. The 16g phone is serving me fine for right now. However, my next phone will have at least 32g of memory and preferably 64.

Reactions: Hankster

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
So much for 16GB being unusable. have not seen a single customer return a 16GB 6s so far.

Just to make this clear to everyone - again - not every smartphone user NEEDS a lot of hard drive space. It amazes me that so many people only see life through their own eyes and never think about other people's lives and needs.

- My father has an iPhone 6. No apps. Barely any photos. No video. He does not need more than 16GB.
- My mother has an iPhone 5S. No apps. Barely any photos. No video. She does not need more than 16 GB.
- My sister in law has an iPhone 5S. No apps. Some photos and some video. She has yet to need more than 16GB.
- I have three uncles and two aunts who have iPhone 5 models and none have more than the base model. Why? They don't use apps or take tons of photos or video.

So, please stop assuming everyone who uses a smartphone needs more hard drive space. It is incorrect. You may need more and likely many users may need more. But, not everyone. Also, many people just back up their iPhones. I back up my iPhone every single day at work!

PS: Just to be clear I agree with the OP. All you who disagree need to stop assuming everyone looks in the same mirror as you.

Reactions: Aceroller

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
My father has an iPhone 6. No apps. Barely any photos. No video. He does not need more than 16GB

He also doesn't need an iPhone 6. Or a smartphone for that matter.

If you use even a fraction of the features Apple advertises, you'd need more space. And it's not like bumping the base storage to 32gb hurts anyone. Limiting it to 16gb forces people who actually want to use their smartphones for what they are to shell out an extra $100

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
Just to make this clear to everyone - again - not every smartphone user NEEDS a lot of hard drive space. It amazes me that so many people only see life through their own eyes and never think about other people's lives and needs.

- My father has an iPhone 6. No apps. Barely any photos. No video. He does not need more than 16GB.
- My mother has an iPhone 5S. No apps. Barely any photos. No video. She does not need more than 16 GB.
- My sister in law has an iPhone 5S. No apps. Some photos and some video. She has yet to need more than 16GB.
- I have three uncles and two aunts who have iPhone 5 models and none have more than the base model. Why? They don't use apps or take tons of photos or video.

So, please stop assuming everyone who uses a smartphone needs more hard drive space. It is incorrect. You may need more and likely many users may need more. But, not everyone. Also, many people just back up their iPhones. I back up my iPhone every single day at work!

PS: Just to be clear I agree with the OP. All you who disagree need to stop assuming everyone looks in the same mirror as you.

I get your point but do you have any idea how ridiculous/greedy it is for Apple to keep base pricing and storage exactly the same since 2008-2009? iPhones since 2008-2009 have shipped with 16gb, a time when there was no retina apps, no ultrapixel cameras, etc. Everyone else in the industry has moved to 32gb, including samsung, microsoft, even amazon, etc.

Price difference between 16gb vs 32gb in 2015 is probably $2-3.

Almost everyone I know that gets an iphone fills it up easily with photo/videos, even casual users like mom/dad.

Lets get something straight, Apple is at fault here, call it greed or whatever you want, lets agree on it at least.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Happy the thread turned into something interesting to read. I had to entertain myself for a while.

Reactions: trifid

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Hah, I've got a whole extended family filled with 16GB regret and that's pre-6s 4K video and 12MP Live Photos. At least Apple ended up defaulting to 1080p and I wonder why? They've never done that before and honestly Apple has never even given any resolution option besides the frame rate on the 6. Usually new iPhones default to the new video resolution but not this time. Hmmmm…

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
You have 525 posts in just 24 days. Remarkable. And you post about something that you could not possible know about. Are you posting just to get your post count up. Now show us the proof that NO 16 GB iPhone has been returned

Looks like someone's trying to get into the marketplace. Need to watch that guy.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
why not? His store sells thousands of iPhones a month.

How is his observations worth less than the few dozen who say 16GB is unuseable for anyone?

Either observation is worthless, actually. 16 GB is obviously not unusable to everyone or else none of those units would be sold. But at the same times, tens of millions of iPhones are sold. Your friend's Apple Store is just one store. Whatever business they do is just a drop in the bucket. Anecdotal evidence is still anecdotal evidence. I don't know why people on either side of this debate think that they're proving anything.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I get your point but do you have any idea how ridiculous/greedy it is for Apple to keep base pricing and storage exactly the same since 2008-2009? iPhones since 2008-2009 have shipped with 16gb, a time when there was no retina apps, no ultrapixel cameras, etc. Everyone else in the industry has moved to 32gb, including samsung, microsoft, even amazon, etc.

Almost everyone I know that gets an iphone fills it up easily with photo/videos, even casual users like mom/dad.

Lets get something straight, Apple is at fault here, call it greed or whatever you want, lets agree on it at least.

I've heard this somewhere else, but 2-3 dollars times a few million iPhones is a few million dollars. 2-3 dollars isn't much to us, but a few million to a company is a lot.

Yes, yes... They have billions and it is 2015 like you stated, but 16 is sufficient. If Molly Mother fills up her 16 GB iPhone with videos of Barney Baby, she'll just learn how to transfer them off her phone. Or piss and moan about it.

32 would be nice, but 16 is fine. At least it isn't that awful 8 with the 5c a year ago.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
While I certainly could get away with a 16GB phone (as I had for years prior to last year). Since I was constantly deleting images from my camera roll, along with watching the apps that I downloaded to my phone, I decided to just pay the extra $100 for the 64GB model. Plus, it gives me piece of mind that I don't have to constantly watch how much space pictures and apps are taking up since I have more than enough room on my phone.

With that said, I do think that Apple should nix the 16GB model and start with 32GB. However, I will continue to buy the 64GB since it suits my needs best.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Wow, this is some amazing record. It is Oct 9th and still, not a single 16GB return in the entire country.
Apple must be doing hi-fives all over campus.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Wow, this is some amazing record. It is Oct 9th and still, not a single 16GB return in the entire country.
Apple must be doing hi-fives all over campus.
No, it's been a proper snuggle fest.

warrior2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015

The move to 32GB for all those companies you mentioned happened this year. So where all those same companies greedy last year?

Bottom line is if you want the best you pay more. Do you expect to buy a BMW for the price of a Kia? So why would you expect the best phone in the world to cost the same as 2nd tier phones?

warrior2000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 12, 2015

Its not the price difference between 16GB flash and 32GB flash Apple is concerned about.

They are concerned about people deciding to buy the 32GB instead of the 64GB. That is $100 of lost revenue for Apple. Now if only 10% of iPhone buyers do that you are looking at $100 x 25,000,000 = $2.5 billion in lost revenue.

And you know that 90% of that incremental $100 is pure profit. So Apple would be losing close to $2 billion in profits. $2 billion in profits is about how much profit the entire iPad line makes.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
The move to 32GB for all those companies you mentioned happened this year. So where all those same companies greedy last year?

Bottom line is if you want the best you pay more. Do you expect to buy a BMW for the price of a Kia? So why would you expect the best phone in the world to cost the same as 2nd tier phones?

Everyone knows that Apple charges more so they can fund R&D to decide between which GB size offers the best user experience. Without that R&D we would have 1GB. Apple is so smart more than.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Really, this again... :rolleyes:

Many customers run out of storage past the return period, as the iPhone fills up with apps, photos, and videos. Apple wouldn't sell iPhones knowing return rates will be high.

This is why you are able to remove and add stuff at your leisure. You are not required to keep everything you own on your iPhone. My 128 gig iPhone wouldn't hold all my movies and music and apps, yet nobody screams that 128 gig is inadequate.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I understand why Apple is keeping 16GB (profit margins blahblahblah) but just because I understand it, doesn't mean I agree with or support it. People who normally bought the 32GB model, had their storage doubled to 64. People who normally bought the 64GB model, had their storage doubled to 128. People who normally bought the 16GB model had their storage... remain the same. If Apple is perfectly capable of doubling the other tiers, then they are perfectly capable of doubling 16GB. It's all about maximizing profit, that's all.

I think instead of going 32/64/128 ($650, $750, $850 respectively), it might be a better idea to just have 2 models. 32GB for the base ($650) and then a 128GB for $150 more ($800). That way, people who buy the base are getting double the storage, and people who want 128GB save $50. Sure, there will be people in the middle, but it won't be any different than right now.

Then maybe for the iPhone 8, they can reintroduce a 3rd tier model. 32/128/256 for $650, $750, $850. Now people who want 128GB are saving an additional $50.

Reactions: geoff5093

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
I never knew OP was secretly Tim Cook.

Tim Cook, please do AMA right now since you somehow have time to run a multi-dollar billion company and read this cluster**** called MacRumors!

Question 1.

1. How did you find MacRumors?

Question 2.

2. How do you multitask?

Question 3.

3. Why are standing outside of an Apple Store? Isn't it your store? I'm pretty sure you could do whatever you wanted -in- the store.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Everyone knows that Apple charges more so they can fund R&D to decide between which GB size offers the best user experience. Without that R&D we would have 1GB. Apple is so smart more than.
With the sheer magnitude of Apple's sales, the R&D costs are minimal on a per iPhone basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.