Still trying to make the Switch: Network question!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by inkster218, Aug 8, 2004.

1. inkster218 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

If I bought a Mac laptop and had a PC laptop and wanted to network them together, could I use my Linksys router and exchange files back and forth?

Curt

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

3. Nspace macrumors regular

In addition, a great feature I found out about yesturday (I learn new things every day here :) ) is that you can share your itunes library over the network. So you can log onto the Apple and stream your PC's music library over the network. I tried it last night and it worked great without any flaws.

4. dejaentendu macrumors newbie

Okay, then here's another question for you guys. I'm about to switch too and was reading about Virtual PC yesterday a bit and one of the features listed was that it allows your Mac to work with PC networks. How is that a feature if it's supposed to already work anyway?

5. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

That's a good question.

One small benefit I can see with Virtual PC for networking is that you can use the same step-by-step procedure on both computers to make it work. As opposed to doing two different procedures to make a Mac to PC network work.

Also, I guess some advanced Windows only networking features are only possible between two Windows computers. (Spreading a Windows virus for instance :p )

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Some networks block out access from anything but a Windows PC, or a specific version of Windows (2000, XP, etc...). Some networks also use weird specialized encryption/authentication protocols that don't exists on Mac. However, these are the exception, not the rule.