Still Undecided :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by edwardlanti, Mar 13, 2006.

1. edwardlanti macrumors regular

Would I be stupid in buying a refurbished G5 iMac in the apple store right now?
    I was planning on getting a Intel IMac but then a deal came up that i couldnt refused and I bought a IBook. So i spend of my money that i had for the Intel IMac to get the IBook. So I was thinking of getting a G5 IMac 20" so I can also stay with the IBook. Does that make sense lol? or should I just sell the IBook and get myself the Intel IMac? I just use computer to browse,chat,music and some simple photo stuff

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I think having a portable is a big advantage. Also, from the uses you've described, a G5 iMac should be more than sufficient.

Good luck with your decision.

3. Hodapp macrumors 6502a

Hodapp

I'm really having a hard time passing up ANY of the deals Apple has running currently on the refurb store. 23" display @ 46% off? Someone take my debit card away from me. :X

4. edwardlanti thread starter macrumors regular

I know. That is why I want to stay with the IBook lol and considering that I got for a good price too. What advantage does the Intel IMac has right now over the G5 IMac? I am talking about the present not the future.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I almost picked up a refurb G5 iMac the other day myself - the deals are good, but in the end just couldn't justify it. But there's nothing wrong with them to be sure - perhaps a little louder/hotter than the Intel counterpart, but overall nothing that should sway you against it, especially given your usage requirements.

6. edwardlanti thread starter macrumors regular

Another thing that I am also holding on the Intel IMac is that i have a feeling inside of me that Apple is not going to stay too Long with the Duo Core with the IMac, just a feeling lol

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Not sure how this matters - they're obviously not staying with the G5, so that's no difference. The Core Duo is just one of many versions of Intel chips to come, I'm sure, but I wouldn't base a buying decision purely on that. Now, the fact that it's a Rev A may make you have second thoughts... ;)

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Enjoy your iBook and just let progress take it's course over the next few revisions.

You'll be much happier once all the universal binary apps are mainstream and we see what happens with the faster Intel chips yet to come.

9. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I agree... enjoy your iBook and save up for the Rev. B iMac intel ;)