Still using Dashboard, or has the novelty worn off?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iGary, May 17, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

Are you still using Dashboard every day? I usually chaeck it a couple of times a day for stocks and weather, but my use is certainly down since Tiger first came out.

Curious to see other responses. :D

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I am no longer fascinated by teh ripple effect. I maybe invoke F-12 three times a day.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Depends on what I'm doing both on the Mac and real world - and which widgets are live. There are days when I seem to hit it every hour or so and there are days when in late afternoon, I open it and the weather widget refreshes from the night before.

Widgets I've found myself using are the translator (instead of making a vague one in my head from context or skipping it), the BugMeNot lookup (rather than just avoiding the site), the train schedule (because it's marvelous!), the Su Doku (since it means I don't have to finish it in one go) and the Notepad since it takes up less screen than lots of Stickies.

4. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

i LOOOOOOOOOOOVE the ripple effect, i try to find uses for it, adn i use it maybe 10 times a day. although i wish i could use it more

5. superkatalog macrumors regular

i'm using it for wheater, wikipedia and caldendar. and for the 'more widgets' button. :)

6. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm getting quite a bit of use out of the Calculator, Unit Converter and Dictionary/Thesaurus widgets. A lot of the others (like the Weather widget for example) are fun but my life wouldn't come to a shuddering halt without them.

7. fabsa macrumors newbie

Dashboard is really handy still. I use it for checking weather everyday, occasionally for translations and also have a rss widget that lists all the new forum topics on my local mac forum. Nothing I couldn't live without, but all in all really sweet. :D

8. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I am using it 3-4 times a day, and expect to more when working on writing projects. I want more widgets...and an extra dashboard to fit them all in - F13 anyone?

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

About 3-4 times a day here too. I just wish the widgets would update faster. If I want to check the weather, I have to sit there staring at a greyed-out screen for about ten seconds like an idiot. I know ten seconds doesn't sound like long, but it'd be nice if the whole thing was sped up.

10. Sox macrumors regular

I'm using the package tracker quite a bit, and it's phenomenal. With one click, I can see that my new Rain iLap is...in San Francisco. Still in San Francisco.

11. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Mad Jew, cmd-R is your friend. Force refresh a widget when you've moused over it.

12. mpw Guest

Being a bit slow at times I was a bit disapointed for the first couple of weeks that Tiger only came with 3/4 widgits. Then having been quite impressed with those I decided I'd like to have a weather widgit and clock for a 2nd location and trying to work out how to do this I noticed the icon in the lower left of the screen and found all the others, and the fabled ripple effect for the first time.
    After slapping myself across the forehead Dashboard is now showing it's full worth and I'm still in the honeymoon period.

Widgits I want;
    Local White Pages
    Lotto Results

13. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

im guessing it will become even better as more and more widgets come out, i also dont think its meant to be used all the time - but to be really helpful and useful when you need it

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, thanks for that, and I do every now and then but to be honest, it's still a pretty slow and inconvenient way of doing things. But thanks for the tip nevertheless.

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Let's see:

* I use the Dictionary and Unit Converter and flip through This Day In History daily.

* The Weather widget is nice, although I like Meteorologist in my menu bar better.

* After installing AcidSearch in Safari the need for the Wikipedia widget almost went completely away.

* I cannot quite decide whether I like using the Calculator widget or Calculator.app better.

* For system monitoring I never stopped using XRG, and haven't even tried any widgets.

16. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm using it fairly often. I make changes in the widgets I am using based on need. I run a few different weather widgets because we're travelling this week, so I want to see the weather forecast for where we're going. I watch for new widgets coming out.

Where's the MacRumors thread subscription widget? Or new posts widget? That would be cool!

Hula Jesus is my fave!

17. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I'm using the Dictionary/thesaurus widget a lot and the calendar/weather widgets are handy on occasion.

I also much prefer the calculator widget over the calculator app purely because the widget edits the results for you.
    e.g. type in 45*45 in the calculator app and you get 2025 as a result. Do the same in the widget and you get 2,025. When you are dealing in large numbers, decimals etc. having the result edited really helps.

At first I was entering into the dashboard at every opportunity but now its settled down to just being a useful tool that I use on a reasonably regular basis. Actually today I had to use a powerbook with 10.3.9 and it was amazing how quickly I got frustrated in NOT having dashboard and in particular Spotlight available. They're are both very nice tools.

Vanilla

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I was thinking maybe I should get Tiger because of dashboard, but then I just decided to move my calculator to the Dock. Does what I need, so I'm still using Panther.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How many widgets do you have open since 10 seconds does sound too long? My 2 weather widgets (out of 7 or 8) update within 2 seconds of me hitting f12.

20. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I use it many times a day to check the weather and for single word translations or checking conversions of euros to dollars. I don't have the ripple effect though, since my Titanium 500 is a bit dated now.

21. After G macrumors 68000

After G

I don't really use it all that much now. Not that I used widgets all that much to begin with anyway.

I only have an end-of-school countdown, birthday countdown, and TV tracker on there at the moment. Nice to know there's only 32 days of school left.

22. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I use the weather widget and calendar every day. The calculator sees almost as much use.

23. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I only use it to show windoze people what they're missing, but I don't use it because it slows my computer down too much.

24. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

I dont like Dashboard just because the widgets use too much RAM.

I really only use it for the Calculator, and Weather

25. Crunchy macrumors member

I'm using it probably 20 times a day, mostly to check current temperatures and the local radar on the US Weather widget. The US Weather widget doesn't update easily...scratch that. The apple-R command suggested earlier helps a ton...