STill want McCain with Kerry?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, Jun 18, 2004.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Count me as one who never did. I'd prefer to see him run with Clark, but I've got this gnawing fear he'll pick Gebhardt.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

He has always been a hawk on Iraq. It doesn't mean he doesn't have many of the same criticism of the way we have gotten into this war or Bush's stupid mistakes as Kerry or many others have. It also doesn't mean he ever would have been a good choice for Kerry's running mate. He is amazingly conservative on some issues and almost liberal on others. It was a choice that would have sewn up the election for Kerry, however. What you are seeing now is McCain shoring up his chance to run in 2008.

3. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That was more or less my thoughts. Slightly more along the lines of he was told to get in line or else leave the party :eek:

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I wouldn't put it that way. At least not without some proof. I would think it is more along the lines that one doesn't win the Republican nomination in the future without supporting the present nominee, much less by running with the opposition.

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I would vote for Hillary in a Hillary vs. McCain election, but I wouldn't presume to know what the outcome of that race would be. If Bush wins this year, ack, ack.... one moment while my heart stops racing .... then McCain and Jeb Bush would be the presumptive favorites in the GOP race in 2008. One could throw in a few other names like Rudy or Frist, but I'd bet on Jeb or McCain. Hillary would certainly be a favorite on the Democratic side, but Edwards and a few others should not be ruled out. Anyway, that's so far away and November could change everything, so to make such speculation worse than meaningless.

6. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

We live in the United States of America.. you want proof??? :eek: Like that is ever going to happen... All we have is inference.

7. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

OK, maybe not proof, but would you settle for the need for some evidence? ;)

8. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Actions. Actions. Didn't he go from condemning Bush and the war in Iraq to now supporting it? Or am I confusing him with someone else?

9. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

His position has always been supportive of the war and the idea that now that we are there we can't afford to lose. He has also been critical of Bush/Rumsfeld for not using enough troops and other such issues.

10. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

I like McCain not necessarilly because I agree with him on every issue or even MOST issues (I have yet to find a candidate that that is true of) but because I think he is trustworthy. When McCain says something I know he means it, even if I don't agree with it. That is much better to me than hearing somebody say something I agree with but not knowing whether or not they mean it.

11. iccy82 macrumors newbie

iccy82

johnny wants to run for 2008 nomination...

but.... with that in mind... where was kerry and dean and edwards 4 years ago? as quiet as a mouse!

12. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

yes, but, mccain will not join kerry, democrats need stop wishing, mccain is campaigning for bush anyways now, plus, if mccain accepts he will be pushed out of the republican party, and he no liberal..

13. iccy82 macrumors newbie

iccy82

he's a republican.... thats why he is supporting bush....