stinky mac?

Discussion in 'Community' started by neut, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68000

neut

am i the only one that thinks mac smell good?

really. i love the smell of a new mac! my TiBook still carries the scent (I can especially smell it when it warms up...mmmmmmmm).

what is that smell?

2. macrumors P6

wdlove

You prompted me to smell my Mac, neut. But sadly I didn't note any smell, just warm air from the fan! Now I will have to pay close attention to my new PPC 970! ;) I do enjoy a new car smell, is it similar to that?

3. macrumors 68040

tazo

speaking of new car smell did you know that is actually a spray that they put on all upholstery whether it be fabric or leather? So theorhetically you could buy 'new car smell' and spray it anywhere u wanted that 'new car smell' :)

4. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

The title of this thread is misleading.

It's the same with most new electronics. Computer, stereo, tv, lots of products that generate heat & energy.

It's a nice scent I'll admit, but I personally like the smell of coffee better myself. ;)

5. macrumors G4

My Mac smells like whatever I spilled on it last.

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

neut

coffee makes you poop (and really fast at that)!

macs make you think (different)!

thus both together would make you "think differently about pooping really fast"?

?

sorry. that was dumb.

7. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Now are you talking about the new mac smell - sort of like the new car smell?

My mac is old enough that I don't think it has its own smell anymore....

D

8. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

please!!! :eek:

I'm trying to shake that whole "poop" persona... ;)

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

neut

don't worry. the smell will wash off.

10. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

um, okay, what you are smelling are chemicals....

you *might* not want to go for that too much, because it might cause damage...

This is comparable to people who like the smell of my disinfectant, but it does do harm to your lungs.

11. Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I think they are long chain monomers, which is basically the ablation of the surface of new plastic mouldings, hence the new car smell, strangely a new Aston Martin smells of leather and wood polish, guess who was sitting in a vantage yesterday:D

My new 17" AlBook smells very nice thankyou.

12. macrumors P6

wdlove

I just wish that coffee would taste as good as it smells! Wow the aroma!!;)

13. macrumors P6

wdlove

Actually it's hot water that has a laxitive effect. I remember that my grandfather would always drink a hot glass of water before he did his chores on the farm. Never knew why, don't know why I didn't ask. It wasn't until nursing school that I learned about the laxative effect of hot fluids. It brings about increase peristalysis!

14. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

I know what you're talking about. When I got my replacment iBook it had a "new Mac" smell to it, and when we unloaded my sisters iMac from the box it also smelled like a "new Mac" even though it had been sitting in the box for many months.

15. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I just smelled my mac, and it doesnt really have a smell. :D I cant remember if there was a smell to it whenever I got it out of the box or not.

16. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I think that that needs to go in the Poop Thread! :eek: ;)

but i didnt know that hot water did that.

17. macrumors P6

wdlove

Well now you can say that you learned something new today! ;) I saw that eyelikeart wants to downplay that personna!

18. macrumors 604

scem0

Hmmmmm, haven't smelled a mac recently. My new monitor smells...... like any other piece of technology.

My printer, on the other hand, smells quite nice. Toner smells good in my opinion.

19. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The Macs have that chemical smell because Apple no longer "burns-in" computers like they used to a long time ago, just the start-up test now.

So the chemicals that used to be burned off at the factory during burn-in now pollute your house, much better than making the employees suffer. ;)

Some of the new computer lines will have a stronger smell, depending on who/where they get their parts.

20. macrumors P6

wdlove

I've never noticed that toner has a smell. You should try adding toner to a copier, a messy job scem0. It's like thick black dust that 's hard to contain and to cleanup!

21. macrumors 604

scem0

Well if you want to know specifically the smell I am talking about. Try to smell the next Samsung laser printer toner cartridge you see. Sort of sweet smelling, yet rich at the same time.

22. macrumors 65816

ibookin'

You're gonna turn us all into toner huffers!

23. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

iBook keyboards smell like B.O.

No, really. There was a thread on Apple Support discussions about it. Some people notice nothing, others can smell it from several feet away after it's warmed up. Mine has a slight scent. Yuck.

24. macrumors 65816

kettle

STINK DIFFERENT... he he

I thought I knew what the "New Mac" smell was, but now I'm not sure. I was helping my girlfriend unpack her new eMac and was suprised to smell a new "New Mac" smell. Up until now all the macs I have unpacked had been assembled in Ireland, I think the eMac came from Malaysia, hmm perhaps all macs don't smell the same.

25. macrumors P6

wdlove

If it smells as good as scem0 is saying, then yes it could become addictive!
    I wonder if they have any of these smells in a can, seems that they should if they have a new car smell! :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.