Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
I just received my STM Atlas case for 9.7 IPP. The case has a major flaw: it cannot hold the Apple Pencil securely. There are several millimeters of space on each side of the pencil compartment. This results in the pencil sliding back and forth during any movement. This can damage the pencil and wear out the tip.

I emailed STM and was told "The movement when the pencil is in place is normal. I hope you enjoy using your Atlas case." Sorry, but this is a very poor design decision. The pencil should be held securely in place, not slide around all the time.

I'll be returning this case and trying another brand.

K1eRvyS.jpg

RMgK2Ke.jpg

Reactions: Bpmd

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
That is weird. I have an STM case for my iPad Air 2, and it's designed quite well.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
I just received my STM Atlas case for 9.7 IPP. The case has a major flaw: it cannot hold the Apple Pencil securely. There are several millimeters of space on each side of the pencil compartment. This results in the pencil sliding back and forth during any movement. This can damage the pencil and wear out the tip.
I am legit not trying to antagonize here. That seems like a ridiculously easy problem to self-solve / resolve.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
I am legit not trying to antagonize here. That seems like a ridiculously easy problem to self-solve / resolve.

I don't think you're antagonizing - what did you have in mind? Happy to try it out.

That said, a $60 case should not have this design problem. I'm astonished it shipped like this.

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011
I don't think you're antagonizing - what did you have in mind? Happy to try it out.

That said, a $60 case should not have this design problem. I'm astonished it shipped like this.
Perhaps, put a small amount of cotton in the slot at one end and place some clear tape over top of it? It's also possible if you contact the manufacturer they might already have an update version of the case and able to swap it out or mail you the new one. The image I see of the 9.7 STM case on Amazon.com doesn't seem to show that same gap.

I've read comments from reviewers on Amazon.com before alluding to this -- after a bad post / low star review -- the poster comments the were contacted to get them over to customer service to replace the case.

That said, all bets are off if you just didn't like the case over all and this problem was just a sore thumb.

I myself, just got an IPP 9.7 a couple of weeks ago at BestBuy's "Black Friday" in July sale / event so I had to go looking for a case myself. I spent probably 3-4 days looking for a case, not able to find exactly what I wanted. So I had to do a bit of compromise and or changing of opinion.

If the STM case had this problem, but I otherwise liked the case over all -- i'd be something I'd self solve. I ended up chosing the Uban Armor Gear case in red. It didn't have the internal pencil storage / protection like the STM had, but it otherwise met my needs and looked good and some amount of flexibility in that the cover was removable to make it just a case, when I don't want a cover.

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
Perhaps, put a small amount of cotton in the slot at one end and place some clear tape over top of it?

I appreciate the idea but that would lead to more problems and shouldn't be necessary for a $60 case.

It's also possible if you contact the manufacturer they might already have an update version of the case and able to swap it out or mail you the new one. The image I see of the 9.7 STM case on Amazon.com doesn't seem to show that same gap.

I emailed STM and was told "The movement when the pencil is in place is normal. I hope you enjoy using your Atlas case."

31 Flavas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2011

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2008
If you're inside your return window, then I'd return it. That said, if you do otherwise like the case or, at least, perceive it as better then others take a look at the photo Amazon.com has of it: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91qh0M0jN7L._SX522_.jpg -- perhaps newer versions of the case don't have the gap.

I bought it from Amazon, am in the return window and will be returning it.

That picture is from the 12.9" version. Here's a picture of the 9.7", also from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E7ENT8Y), which matches the images I posted above:

5464a64d-0189-4669-ae60-2a908931df54.jpg._CB274062063_.jpg

I emailed STM and asked if I received a faulty version of the case. They didn't offer to replace it, nor did they say a new version was coming. Given that what I received from Amazon matches STM's photo on Amazon I'm going to return this and try another brand.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.