Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
LINK

Major stock market indexes fall to 1997 levels

Dow, S&P 500 fall to 1997 levels as sagging confidence pulls stocks lower; Dow falls 251

Tim Paradis, AP Business Writer

NEW YORK (AP) -- Wall Street has turned the clock back to 1997. Investors unable to extinguish their worries about a recession that has no end in sight dumped stocks again Monday. The Dow Jones industrial average tumbled 251 points to its lowest close since Oct. 28, 1997, while the Standard & Poor's 500 index logged its lowest finish since April 11, 1997.

All the major indexes slid more than 3 percent. The Dow is just over 100 points from 7,000.

"People left and right are throwing in the towel," said Keith Springer, president of Capital Financial Advisory Services...

Metatron

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2002
When does a recession turn into a depression? This is bad.

Seeing as we still have a 14 trillion GDP and unemployment only at 8%...we are a long, long, long way from a depression, technically speaking. As for the mindset, many people feel we are there.

One has to wonder if the market would be so low if people would look at the facts. The Dow Jones being down 50% from the all time high is just crazy. Either the market was in a bubble and is finding a new balance or people need to stop trading on emotion.

aethelbert

macrumors 601
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago, IL, USA
people need to stop trading on emotion.
That's the ticket. Although there's always a prelude to the problem, once that happens, the situation tends to get worse as people tend to hoard their money out of the market/overall economy. If people want to act and spend like we're in a depression, we'll be in one in no time.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
That's the ticket. Although there's always a prelude to the problem, once that happens, the situation tends to get worse as people tend to hoard their money out of the market/overall economy. If people want to act and spend like we're in a depression, we'll be in one in no time.

The media certainly isn't helping matters...

DZ/015

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2003
New England
Now is the time to invest. There are too many undervalued stocks to be ignored. The bloodletting will not continue forever. Fortunes will be made off this downturn, for the bold.

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
Now is the time to invest. There are too many undervalued stocks to be ignored. The bloodletting will not continue forever. Fortunes will be made off this downturn, for the bold.

You ever heard the quote "never try to catch a falling knife"

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada

Yes, you're describing the paradox of thrift. This is why measures of consumer confidence are so important - the more people think the economy will tank, the less likely they will spend so personal tax cuts prove ineffective as it is not spent back on the economy.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
I think we all kind of knew all this was going to get worse before it got better. For weeks I have been saying depression.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
And Gordon Brown agrees… ;)

Link…

You know how it goes:
If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Gordon Brown is a politician so his opinion on the matter is rather worthless. He will saw things like this to get votes even no matter if it is true or not.

I will believe it when I read the true expects are saying that it is that way and right now I read it time and time again they just say it is a rough down turn but still not anywhere near as a depression.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

You ever heard the quote "never try to catch a falling knife"

No DZ is right. The market WILL bounce back. Now is the time to invest because long term the market still will hold it 9-10% growth a year. It will jump up quicker this time to keep on that pass.

While short term you may and will lose money on paper long term it going to go up. If I had the spare funds with out dipping into my emergency fund I would put money into the market right now for long term investments but I will NOT dip into my emergency fund to do so.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Gordon Brown is a politician so his opinion on the matter is rather worthless. He will saw things like this to get votes even no matter if it is true or not.

Oh fer goodness sakes…
I think you didn't understand it quite correctly.
The UK Prime minister (former Chancellor of the Exchequer) slips up and calls it a depression… do you really think he intended to? Hardly a vote winner. It was a cock-up.
:rolleyes:

…right now I read it time and time again they just say it is a rough down turn but still not anywhere near as a depression.
How's the weather in Denial?
;)

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
We are about half way to the depression according to this chart.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 165

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
Just don't grab the blade. Do your research. With all the fear in the market, now is the time to buy. I have.

Why buy now when you can short sell?

It is always better to go with the tendency, and now is a great time to go against the market. I fail to see the point in buying something that you know will go down in value when you could be making money from that loss in value. The bottom isn't anywhere near so while you're buying, I'm selling, that is until there is any indication that it is reasonable to buy.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Now is the time to invest.
True.

That is why good investors always keep some cash around to take advantage of the sales.

No DZ is right. The market WILL bounce back. Now is the time to invest because long term the market still will hold it 9-10% growth a year. It will jump up quicker this time to keep on that pass.
Yep.

While short term you may and will lose money on paper long term it going to go up.
Agree.

Stocks have routinely gone up around 8-9% per year over the long term. Stocks do not always go up. They fluctuate in value. As long as your investment horizon is 10 plus years, you should be okay. If however, your investment horizon is less, then your funds should have been diversified into other more secure investment vehicles. The recent market movement is the reason why.

Another point concerning investing in stocks is that you may not pick winners each time. Take Microsoft. If you got in early, you now have 512 shares for each original share that you purchased. If memory serves, an original share was around $27. Today a share is about $17. That means for each $27 someone invested, they now have $8,704. Not bad at all. However, if someone invested in Microsoft a few years ago, they would now have about 25% of their original investment.

Companies go through cycles. One definitely needs to do their research first before investing.

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
I think the time to invest is within the next 8 months.

I read the market a lot (as much as a 20 year old Engineering student can), and I have some solid picks for the ensuing years. Take my advice, or leave it.

(T) - AT&T is one of the strongest companies on discount at the momeny. They pay an amazing dividend, aren't hurting badly due to the recession, are continuing with growth, and are financially sound.

(VZ) - Same story as AT&T. These will be the two big players in the mobile market within the next 5 years.

INTC - Intel makes the chips for just about everything, and will continue to do so.

I think if you purchased these 3 companies at the moment, you can expect some big gains in the next 5 years.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
The media certainly isn't helping matters...

Or the government....

When the media or government continues to say how bad things are, people stop spending money and things do get bad.

Trying to get a spending package through by scaring people may help the spending package go through but will tank the economy.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

I agree that you should invest but I think it's very doubtful that you will make a fortune investing long (The market will go up in the long run but will be very flat). The size of the deficit, the rate they are printing out money, and the large budgets (new social reforms) means to me that there will be a considerable tax hike in the future along with very high inflation. Both of these factors directly influence your equity returns (if a company is earning less money, your rate of return will be lower).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.