stock or custom (BTO) MBP ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lanturlu, Nov 1, 2006.

1. lanturlu macrumors newbie

I have some questions about MBP purchase:

1) what are the *real* benefits of choosing a stock laptop over a BTO one?

2) is choosing a glossy screen makes the laptop BTO ?

3) HD type: 120 GB (longitudinal) vs 160 GB (perpendicular). Is perpendicular really faster and should I really consider this factor as an important one (beside the extra space) ? Is it really confirmed that it's the case ? I just checked the forums and I haven't seen a confirmation with serial number of the HD. I don't really care for the extra storage space but if it's a matter of speed too, it becomes important.

For sure, I want the glossy screen. I would also like to have no problem to repair/replace/sell/return in case of failure of the laptop so I think that avoiding BTO is better. Any toughts on that?

Thanks.

2. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

1.Stock means you can easily swap withing the first few days should you have any issues with your MBP but thus far there havent been major issues to my knowledge

2. I was also considering glossy/still am somewhat. but chose matte because i tend to sell my computers so choosing matte was the safest option as there are still mixed reactions to glossy. I find glossy is harder to clean than the matte and attacts finger prints more easily BUT it is better to look at. If you're not into heavy photography

3. Still dunno about that one but if there are clear benefits of perpendicular over logitudinal i might return this and get a BTO...unlikely but possible

3. miniguu macrumors regular

Glossy is definitely BTO. The benefit to ordering stock is that you can readily exchange it (new in box) for another Mac or get a refund. With the BTO MBP you can only get it repaired, or I guess if it's really bad Apple may replace it with another MBP.

Not sure on the PMR, but there are tons of posts on this topic. Take a look around. I love the glossy too, but make sure you get to the Apple store and see them in person before buying.

4. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The matte screen is better for color accuracy if you're doing photo or film work.

You'll have to ask others about scratches and maintenance of the glossy screens.

Generally stock is the easiest, but your local store may be pre-ordering 160 GB
    models due to demand.

If you're buyiing the base model, you'll want to figure in additional RAM

RAM prices are through the roof right now, so shop and compare prices at well known Apple guaranteed retailers like OWC and Datamem.com

If you're buying the upgrade 2.33 GHz model, stock if FINE!, but the 160 HD
    would be preferrable.

I bought my machines over the phone and the local store has taken very good care of me on all three machines, so just get the machine you want either way.

5. wallock, Nov 2, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013

wallock macrumors member

6. PrOeliuM macrumors member

To answer question #1 from http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html :

This policy somewhat irks me, but I understand why they do it. I am in the exact same boat as the OP trying to decide on the MBP. I have some ancedotal evidence concerning this policy as well. The first mac I ever purchased was a 12 inch powerbook from an apple store. As soon as I'd purchased it, I opened up the box and plugged it into one of the store outlets and fired it up. I got nothing. The unit would turn on but the screen didn't turn on at all (hd spun though and the bell chimed). I told the sales rep about it and they swapped it out and had me on my way (after I checked the new one of course).

If you get a BTO machine and have a problem, you will have to send it to apple for them to fix under warranty which leaves you computerless for however long it takes. You also can not return it if you don't like it (which is why I don't recommend BTO for first time mac buyers).

If you get a stock model and have a problem within the first 14 days, you can likely swap it out at an apple store or if they don't want to swap it, just return it for your money back and buy a new one. After several weeks if your machine is working then I'm not clear on the advantages of BTO vs. Stock are up until the warranty runs out.

7. Karlchen macrumors member

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I guess its feasible but only thorough benchmarks can determine that theory.

9. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

It says you can return BTO it if it is DOA. Same as returning stock w/o 10% fee. So the only thing you lose is the 14 days to return no questions ask (w/ 10% fee).

I had a 10 day old MBP with a few problems, didn't take much work to get the Genius to call it DOA, I got a complete refund.

IMO, get BTO iff you know you want it, and have no chance of changing your mind.

But yes, stock is easier to take back to a store and get a replacement that day.