Stock

Discussion in 'Community' started by Cabrini715, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

Does anyone know any good stocks to invest in? This is my first time and i'm not sure what to buy shares of. I was thinking satelite radio maybe? Xm or Sirius? Any suggestions....

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Too bad you didn't jump on the stock bandwagon last year, with a little (or a lot) of apple stock, or you'd be wearing some gold lined socks right now...:)

In the vein of sateillite radio stock, I'm not sure, but I would read some reports, decide whether you are interested in tech or non-tech stocks (research the pros/cons), talk to your broker, and make an informed decision.

Now may or may not be a good time to jump on Satellite radio, because it could either fizzle out, or take off big time once the technology is perfected and begins to be distributed widely - so if you get on now, you may, in the future be very happy, but it could also fail. Research what people are saying about sirius and XM on yahoo finance and see what is happening these days.

Good luck! :)

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

pharmicudical shares are low right now, due to recent FDA reports. i expect these shares will be back up once all of the dust clears. people always need drugs...

have you tried using the search feature? i seem to recall some stock advice threads that had excellent advice for first time investors

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

The best advice I ever saw for new investors came from Peter Lynch: start small (e.g. an amount of money you can afford to lose), and invest in what you know.

Do you see a small company that you think has the potential to grow to a larger one? Do they have a model that can easily be expanded? For example, a small local restaurant that prides itself on friendly service might be a great place to eat, but tough to duplicate somewhere else.

Sirius, on the other hand, has already caught the attention of investers. It has a market cap of $9.6 billion and revenues of only $46 million/year. At that rate, it's going to take a long time for this company to start making money.

What you need to find is a small, well-run company whose business model you understand. Something that's making money now and has the potential to make more.

Sound like a lot of work? Yep, it is. That's why I invest in mutual funds.