Stolen: $19,000 Worth Of Girl Scout Cookies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SilentPanda, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Stolen-19000-Worth-Of-Girl-Scout-Cookies-193700081.html

2. macrumors demi-god

firedept

And so the cookie crumbles. Those are my favorite ones as well. Finally can get some cheaper. Big cookie sale happening at your local corner soon! LOL!

3. macrumors 6502

Stealing from little girls, literally. Good job. I'm sure the scumbags can rationalize it somehow.

4. macrumors 603

quagmire

Not quite. They stole from the organization. Literally stealing from little girls would be the thieves going to where they sell the cookies and robbing them.......

5. macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Thin Mints are the only GS cookies worth stealing and the reason I gain weight in late winter.

6. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

7. macrumors 603

Tomorrow

Thin mints and shortbreads? They can have 'em. Leave me my Do-Si-Dos.

Oh, and if there are any Girl Scouts reading this (yeah, right): bring back the All-Abouts!!

8. macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I ordered from two people. I hope this doesn't delay my shipment :D, I have a pregnant wife to feed.

$19,000 worth, that's like 20 boxes these days right?

9. macrumors 601

Tilpots

Ahem, if anyone, no one in particular mind you, wants to PM me, uh, I'm a huge Thin Mint fan. Just sayin'. I'm not too far from SC either, if you wanna meet. Just to say 'Hello,' of course...

:eek:

10. macrumors 6502

11. macrumors 6502

So the girls themselves are not part of the organization?

I don't get the humor over this. Cookie sales support the troops, their events and the infrastructure... Perhaps it is also now funny when thieves steal from Toys for Tots, Homes for Humanity, or food pantries.

12. macrumors 603

quagmire

So if I rob a preschool for whatever reason, I stole from kids too since they are a part of that school? I don't follow that logic.

The thief stole from the organization, not the girls themselves. I never found any humor in this so I don't know what you're getting at.....

13. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Blasphemer!:p

14. macrumors P6

Peace

I'd be suspicious of any good deals on GS cookies on eBay.

;)

15. macrumors 6502

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you were the one finding humor in the situation. Other posters, however, seem to be making light of the situation.

And sorry again, but as much as you can't follow my logic, I'll admit I don't understand the distinction you are drawing. Except for the Girl Scout nat'l organization, everyone else is a volunteer. It's a non-profit organization, which its members belong to once they join.

Unless the storage company or its insurance is stepping up to cover the loss, it's on the Girl Scouts (or their insurance company, followed by subsequent higher insurance charges)...

As I perceive it, your argument is like saying "I stole from the club, not its members," or, "I stole from the Toys for Tots organization, not the kids who now won't get toys because of the theft." Admittedly my ability to compartmentalize things in these situations is not very high. Perhaps that is reacting too emotionally, but if the end result is that the kids are deprived, IMO the thieves are literally stealing from the kids.

16. macrumors member

17. macrumors 68040

18. macrumors 68020

MICHAELSD

In other news, a knock-off Girl Scout troop of girls was enlisted to sell them.

19. macrumors 603

notjustjay

I was going to say..... why?! What do you do with about 4,000 stolen boxes of cookies?

I wonder if there was more to the story. Like maybe the real target was to steal a truck, that happened to contain the cookies. The cookies make for a much more entertaining headline.

20. macrumors regular

This is a thread from last March, but my first guess was that it was insurance fraud. If a troop was desperate enough, stage a robbery of your overstock.

I think it was last year that the GS changed the sourcing, so the troop has to buy the cookies, then sell them - vs how they previously did it which was sell them, make huge bulk order, wait for delivery, then deliver to the buyers, collect cash. It was weird, seemed like it was more pressured, different.

Or was that change just here in my area of the midwest? My girls' troop said it was nationwide, but maybe not.

----------

so 4000 boxes = around 333 cases assuming 12 per case. Assuming each box is about a foot cubed, that means 64 cases per skid.

That means this was about 5-6 skids of cookies taken. How would you store that. It was in SC, so you would think outside storage unit would melt the chocolate and the rats and mice would tear them up.

21. TSE
    macrumors 68030

TSE

Not a fan of those overpriced, overrated cookies. $19,000 worth of cookies probably cost $2000 to manufacture and ship. Still a sad deal though.

22. macrumors 68020

localoid

23. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

If anyone want so send me a few dozen thin mint or shortbread boxes, I'm down :D

24. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

25. macrumors 68000

phrehdd

This kind of theft should be a good reason to bring public flogging back and massive community service.