Stolen AppleCare, plz help! :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by n8236, Feb 26, 2007.

1. n8236 macrumors 65816

I bought AppleCare through an eBayer and the package was apparently stolen or lost. The seller said she is able to track the package down by its serial #.

I don't know how that is possible if the package is new? Does Apple sell their AppleCare with the serial # enclosed on the invoice or something? Or is the seller pulling my leg? She said her source is able to track down my AppleCare if i provide her with my isp, mbp serial #, address, and such info.

I would greatly appreciate any help!

2. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I certainly don't mean to be rude, but come on dude! It doesn't take a rocket scientist to wonder how in the world your isp, mbp serial #, address could possibly help this "ebayer" in tracking down a shipment. I mean seriously have you ever heard FedEx say oh one minute sir, could I just get your ISP and i can find that package for you right way?

No, do not hand over that information.

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

ummm its a scam. THe way it works is inside the package is a slip with a number. you give that number and your s/n and it gets updated. You can do it online or through the mail.

4. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

5. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the heads up, it totally makes sense. I never bought any Apple products or extended warranty of any type before.

Man, I hope I get my money back. $250 down the drain :(

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually a really smart scam, get the all the info they need to make you the scammer when they sell your computer on eBay.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

definitely a scam. good luck getting your money back. what did you use to pay for it?

8. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

maybe give that person a bad review so that other people are aware that they might be a scammer.

Were there any comments from other people?

9. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

exactly!

In regards to the bad review idea, I think that is fine and all, but this is more serious than bad review stuff here. This needs to be reported directly to ebay and not through some half-a** internet "fill out this message" junk, you need to contact ebay because this poses a real threat to the public. These are affirmative steps towards a criminal action, we're not just talking about a late delivery worthy of a bad review. Then, once you have reported them to Ebay, ask what they are going to do and it they will just sort of poke around and do nothing then post the bad review warning, but if they are going to get a bit more aggressive, then you might want to double check with ebay just so these guys are not more alert to the fact that they are being looked into.

10. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

i don't really see how that would work, because in the end it would trace back to that person, because she would be the one posting it up for sale.

11. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

I forgot to add one IMPORTANT detail about my transaction.

The seller had a tracking number for me, I tracked it through USPS and it says it was delivered to my zip code (as it does not provide the full address). But I never received anything. The seller kept pointing to the fact that it was delivered to me.

12. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

I do wish that when people come here to ask for advice on eBay transactions, they would at least provide links to the auction or the seller.

Can you do that now? It might be handy.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't know about you guys, but I have difficulty believing that a seller with a 99.7% feedback rating and 6,000+ feedbacks is scamming this guy. Sounds like a screw up on USPS's part.

14. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

So have you tried calling your local USPS office to see where your package is right now?

15. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

16. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

It's very odd. That seller looks like it is someone selling nothing but knitting and sewing equipment. And then...Applecare and .mac?

It could have been taken over through phishing, but it also continues to sell needles and stuff...

Did you pay straight to this person's PayPal account?

It may just be that it was lost in the mail or misdelivered. Try and find out for sure through whoever shipped it, first.

Obviously, don't give any of that information. Not sure why it was requested. Maybe just some ditzy old sewing shop lady without a clue?

17. n8236 thread starter macrumors 65816

Here is a response from the seller;

"hi,
    no matter what anyone say, according to post office , the package was delivered to you.
    the reason that i need that information is to verify that your computer was not activated for applecare, because there is possibility that your computer was activated for this servise, since post office saying they delivered package to you.

I can't just give you another activation # for $250 from my pocket until i can verify that your computer was not activated. this investigation will be done with my source and Apple investigation department, thats why it may take 4 to 6 weeks. Also we will investigate wich computer( if not yours,) was activated with apple care. Once they will verify this information, we may be able to resolve this issue.
    Ann"

----------

Do they really have anything to be afraid of? I already paid for it, why can't they just give me the AppleCare # and I can register it through that. I don't get it.

18. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

So on one hand I agree: it's very hard to scam that many people or fake that many sales. That's one of the big things I look for when I buy through Ebay; I would have expected someone like this to be very reliable.

But on the other hand, I agree with the buyer here - why can't he just be given the Apple Care number? Or is that only found in the package itself? I'm just really curious as to how knowing the ISP, along with all that other information, helps in this "investigation" the seller says she has to perform through her "sources."

19. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I don't see how your ISP information is going to help the "investigation." But the sewing stuff, and then the one Apple thing should have told you something.

That pretty much sums it up.

20. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

This looks like a scam to me. don't let the excellent feedback score fool you; these scammers usually operate from hijacked accounts.

21. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Did you pay with paypal? if you did, I have good news for you. Paypal requires signature on items valued $250 and up. File a paypal claim and you will get your money back.

However, from experience DO NOT accept any package thereafter until you check and see who it is from. If you are not expecting it, refuse it. I had a seller mail a box to me (probably empty) with a different name but since I signed he somehow got paypal to take the new tracking number.

The seller shot themselves in the shoot by not having signature if they really meant to scam you. Plus, you are covered by paypal buyer protection, so if he didn't have the funds you would be covered up to $2000 regardless.

22. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Assuming Apple keeps a record, if the buyer did register the AppleCare, they would be able to see what ISP it was done on. Meaning if it was the OPs computer and OPs ISP, he is lying.

And that does not sum it up. The seller IS responsible since

1: The package never arrived to the buyer. Meaning the seller has to file an insurance claim, assuming the buyer paid for it. It was an option.

2: Paypal requires signature confirmation on items valued $250 and above. No signature buyer gets his money back. End of story. The buyer can also go to his bank and file a claim if his bank allows that.

So that is not the end of it. A seller with 6000+ would know better.

23. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

You can file a complaint with the local post master or regional post master. They will get to the bottom of this, as they take fraud very seriously. It was delivered somewhere (the seller had tracking? Ask for the tracking number). The only thing they can't do anything about is if someone grabs the package out of your mailbox.

I can't imagine the guy would scam you with 6000+ feedbacks on ebay though.

24. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

Like they said before, it could be a hijacked account.
    Another thing is that if the seller can check with her "source in apple" she would need to know the activation code of the product to know if it's been used...
    So she must know the activation code right?
    So why can't she just give you the code?