stolen credit card info

Discussion in 'Community' started by jxyama, Oct 15, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems...

this morning, i got a call from one of my credit card companies that there's been suspicious activities on my card. true enough, charges for a couple hundred dollars were attempted in CA. (i live in MI.)

this is the second time this year something like this has happened. the odd thing is, the other card that was attempted for suspicious use never left my desk drawer, wasn't even activated, never was used online or offline... short of someone breaking into my house, looking up the card numbers BUT not taking the card itself, there's no way for anyone to know anything about that card.

so i'm wondering if there are people out there that just takes educated guesses on credit card info? anyone else seen increased suspicious activities on their credit cards?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

California?! Wasn't me. :D

That is very strange though, especially about the first card that wasn't even activated. Could someone be intercepting your mail? Is someone shady working at the credit card company?

It's possible that someone might have enough information about you to open up a card in your name. I think you might be able to check your credit report to see if someone might have opened a credit card in your name(?). I'm not sure, maybe there are other ways to check as well.

3. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Could the number have been taken off it whilst it was in the mail then delivered to you afterwards?

4. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

hmm, scary. intercepted mail sounds unlikely, but might be the case.

maybe someone else made a duplicate card of the one i already own?? i should call the credit card companies to make sure that only one copy of each card exists and all are in my possession...

5. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

what could have happened is that the mail was sent to an old address or something..?

i should just cancel the card and make sure all addresses are updated for the ones i'm keeping. (i only have 5 credit cards, two of which i use the most and one i haven't even activated.)

6. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's possible there could be a second copy of your card ... if the credit card company didn't issue a duplicate card, maybe someone made one? :confused: I don't know how common this is.

Did the credit card company say where / how the charges were attempted? Did they involve online transactions, or in-person transactions? If was an online transaction, it might help to look at what sites the person tried to purchase things from. For instance, you know you're dealing with a bold person if he / she tried to purchase something from amazon.com versus a small online store.

7. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

i was told target, she didn't specify if it was online or not... the fact she specifid CA makes me think that there's a duplicate card out there since you can't buy anything at target without a physical card. of course, CA could have referred to where the order was placed from..? gotta look into this...

8. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I've never had any problems, but I'd recommend pulling your credit report if you've had two instances of fraud against your accounts. While fraud like this shouldn't turn up on a credit report, I know if I were in your situation I'd feel better knowing there isn't any other open accounts you don't know about out there. I wonder how they got the credit card info though. I've gotten pretty paranoid about this stuff myself, and shred everything that has any personal info about me on it.

9. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

man, i know! i'm fairly tight with info like this...

it turns out the purchase attempt was made at a physical target store in CA. this means someone got hold of a duplicate of my card without my knowledge...

10. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

apparently, the thing to do in a case like this is to call three credit agencies and place a fraud alert. just took care of it - it's automated and relatively easy to do...

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I was thinking more of interference whilst in the care of the postal service. :(

12. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I guess I've been fortunate. The only issues I've had with credit cards is when one of the c.c's "vendors" started charging us for their service. Without our permission. :mad: Naturally I got the runaround for a week or so from them, because they wanted me to "try" their product. :mad:
    A "vendor" is a company that calls you and tries to get you to buy their service and have it placed on your c.c. I believe they also put advertisements in with your bill.

13. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Going by the thread title I was so hoping the post was going to say "Who wants it". :D

14. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

missed a slightly simpler explanation...

called the credit card company and was given a confirmation that there's only been one card issued - the one i have. so no one actually tried to fake my id, which is a relief.

i think what happened is that the con guy has a friend working at target, who let him/her bypass the physical swiping of the card and instead, let the con use a guessed credit card number... or something like that.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I have always wondered how easy it would be to guess a person's credit card number. I know you can do statistics to work it out, but lots of numbers are excluded and can't be used, as I've been told that credit card numbers aren't that random.

Anyway, I think onliine fraud is more difficult to do, as you need to have the expiry date, and the exact name on the card (if you have a middle name, it make it more difficult), so that's difficult to just guess.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Almost sounds like somebody you know. [​IMG]

Quite a few of the quick hits around here have been by people who leak/sell inside info.

Usually it's for targeted home/business thefts, but there's nothing stopping them from using credit card info.