Stolen iBook

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TiMacLover, Mar 13, 2002.

1. TiMacLover macrumors 6502

My iBook was stolen about 3 months ago, though it was only a iBook 300 it was my only G3. Well i dealed with my loss and all, it was HIGHLY suspected that my cousin stole it but we never had proof. My friend said that there might be a way to track it, can Apple help? Or are there any other ways? See I did register it with Apple and filed a police report are there anything that I can do? thanks i hope you can help me! I need os X!

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Im so sorry. I know how you feel. I had my iBook stolen also. All I could do was simply pray that I get it back. Anyways I did and it came back around in a week. Im serious. While I know some people dont pray I think you can track it down somehow since you registered it. Have you checked the pawn shops ...the ones that accept anything? Also contact apple customer service see what they say. I really can sympathize with you. I dont wish this on anyone.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

oh no...

i'm really sorry to hear about your iBook. good luck, i hope you find it.

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

that sucks

Im sorry to hear about your iBook. Loosing somthing like that is horrable. I think the only thing you can do is hope the the cops are hassling someone and run the serial numbers off all the stuff they are carring and get lucky. Registering it helps. Maybe you should can call Apple and tell them the registered iBook was stolen. If they have a database of stolen stuff... if the person that took it went in to an Apple store to get it fixed or something like that..... they could get busted. I have no idea if apple keeps a "hot" list or not.

I was robbed by 5 guys with knives when I was a kid. They took my Bike. I reported it to the police after it happened. Years later I got a call from a police department a few cities away. They told me they found it and I had to go and pick it up. They were hassling some kids and just for fun they ran all the Serials off the bikes had. Mine came up stolen. I got it back in pretty bad shape and it was years latter so I had a Car by then. I sold it in a Garage sale for $20.00. The kid who had it was not the kid that took it so he didnt get in any trouble. And the kids that robbed me never got busted... or at least for my robbery

5. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Definitely call Apple.

Apple most certainly DOES have a "hot list".

Your serial # and HW IP are part of the registration packet the OS sends out when you register. Call 1-800-MY-APPLE and tell them your iBook was stolen......have your serial # and reciept handy.

They'll probably bounce you around a bit before you talk to someone with Authority. Any time a Mac goes in for repair it's serial # is checked against Apple's database. The same is true when a machine is registered online.

The best defense is OS X and leaving the mandatory login feature on. This means the HD will have to be wiped and a new OS installed.......which will want to register.

6. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

7. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I wish I could say more then "I'm so sorry" but at least I can give you support.

You definately should call apple. Then you just have to wait and hope that Apple, or the police will find it...I'd put my money on Apple before the Police.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I can't imagine some guy who's just stolen a computer would REGISTER... I mean that doesn't seem logical (unless they resell it to some unsuspecting buyer like in the case of that stolen iMac they recovered awhile back). But someone who doesn't care about others peoples' property, do you really think they'll care enough to register? Maybe I'm giving these guys too much credit, maybe they really ARE that dumb...

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Ego.

Those who steal, murder, rape and cheat all have one thing in common: Their Ego eventually outweighs their judgement. Anyone can be rendered stupid by their Ego.