Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Many insurance companies do not cover smart phones for theft. USAA does not. I've checked. It may cover for damage using your deductible
Yeah. That's why I said Homeowners. USAA is car insurance.. I've had them for years.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Does it matter? I mean your phone is now gone and that sucks man, but at this point any IMEI locking has no impact on your situation.

Your best bet is to file a claim with your insurance

Still this bites and its a bummer :(

I know its water over the bridge at this point, but when I go showing, everything goes in the trunk or under the seat if I make multiple stops.

Even the trunk isn't safe these days. I know someone who parked their car in the underground parking lot of a supermarket and left their passport and other important documents in the trunk. When they got back the trunk was open and the passport and documents were gone. Thieves have a way of opening trunks these days especially if they're the type that have those remote key locking systems.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Even the trunk isn't safe these days. I know someone who parked their car in the underground parking lot of a supermarket and left their passport and other important documents in the trunk. When they got back the trunk was open and the passport and documents were gone. Thieves have a way of opening trunks these days especially if they're the type that have those remote key locking systems.

those remote locking systems send out the codes on the same frequencies as wifi. and easy to beat encryption if any

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana

Yes, but the trunk would have been a better option than just leaving it inside the car. Nonetheless, what is done is done. I'd file with my insurance and see what they can do for you! It's really your only shot at least having it replaced at little or no cost depending on your insurance policy.

NewdestinyX

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2007
Actually I have USAA for both car insurance and Renters Insurance o_O
CHUBB & State Farm Homeowners policies both cover theft from car. It's pretty common. Doesn't surprise me USAA Renters insurance doesn't. Not enough premium outlay.

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
When ever I leave my car, I make sure my phone is in my pocket. It's an attraction to thrives to see valuable possessions out in the open in vehicles.
Lesson learnt you brother lesson learnt

rhyme

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2013
Don't give the OP such a hard time. In some parts of the world, this is an obviously stupid thing to do; in other parts of the world, it is not unreasonable and he'd have to be very unlucky to have it stolen in these circumstances. I had a European student visiting my lab a couple of months ago. He was given an old bike to use during his stay, and towards the end of his stay, decided that the best way to dispose of it would be to leave it unattended in the city centre so that it would be stolen. He was surprised that it was still there when he came back from lunch, and flabbergasted to see it still untouched a few days later. Our expectations and understanding of risk are shaped by where we live.

Where I live, I would not leave a new iPhone or Apple bag visible through a car window, but I would feel comfortable leaving it tucked out of sight in the footwell. In some places, this would be stupid. In other places, leaving it visible would be fine.

Reactions: Maui19
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.