Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
My brothers iPhone 7+ got stolen today off his desk while at work. He is in sales and has lots of customers in and out of his office - one of them must of saw it sitting there and swiped it off his desk. They immediately shut the phone off so find my iPhone isn't an option. He ordered the phone thru the Apple upgrade program. Anyone know how to approach this?

Reactions: clunkmess

DePaulBlueDemon

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
File a police report, set the "Notify me if found" option in Find My iPhone, wait for the thief to turn it back on. You will get emails with the approximate location of the device, send those to the police.

Also, there's an option to send messages to the phone through Find My iPhone, offer a reward for its anonymous return or something.

EDIT: Does the workplace have security cameras in place?

Last edited:

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
My brothers iPhone 7+ got stolen today off his desk while at work. He is in sales and has lots of customers in and out of his office - one of them must of saw it sitting there and swiped it off his desk. They immediately shut the phone off so find my iPhone isn't an option. He ordered the phone thru the Apple upgrade program. Anyone know how to approach this?

They eventually have to turn it on
Put it in lost mode and waiIt
Hard to steal an iPhone once you've got find my phone on

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
File a police report, set the "Notify me if found" option in Find My iPhone, wait for the thief to turn it back on. You will get emails with the approximate location of the device, send those to the police.

Also, there's an option to send messages to the phone through Find My iPhone, offer a reward for its anonymous return or something.
He turned lost mode on, as well as notify when turned on. He got on the phone with Apple and they suggested to set the "erase when turned on" option. When checking Find My iPhone it now says "erased at 1:48pm" so someone obviously turned it on. If it's erased is it gone forever?

gadgetfreaky

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
He turned lost mode on, as well as notify when turned on. He got on the phone with Apple and they suggested to set the "erase when turned on" option. When checking Find My iPhone it now says "erased at 1:48pm" so someone obviously turned it on. If it's erased is it gone forever?
It should show a location

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

It's been gone forever as soon as it left his desk.
Not much else he can do about it besides learning an expensive lesson.

DePaulBlueDemon

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
It's been gone forever as soon as it left his desk.
Not much else he can do about it besides learning an expensive lesson.

In all honesty, yes. My home was burglarized last year and my Macbook Air was stolen. Gave the location of the computer to the cops, but since the thief was in an apartment complex they had no probable cause to enter any of the residences to search (obviously). At one point a cop had me use the "Play Sound" feature while he was speaking to one of the occupants of the building so he can hear the computer and then have probable cause, but once the police parked outside the thief closed the laptop so no sound played. There's more hope with a phone, though, because the GPS will give a more accurate location than the wifi triangulation on my laptop.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is really unfortunate. Obvious thing to do is file a police report at minimum. Does the employer have camera's available? The iPhone is obviously not coming back. Does your brother have insurance on the iPhone for theft coverage?

Reactions: Rocko99

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
In all honesty, yes. My home was burglarized last year and my Macbook Air was stolen. Gave the location of the computer to the cops, but since the thief was in an apartment complex they had no probable cause to enter any of the residences to search (obviously). At one point a cop had me use the "Play Sound" feature while he was speaking to one of the occupants of the building so he can hear the computer and then have probable cause, but once the police parked outside the thief closed the laptop so no sound played. There's more hope with a phone, though, because the GPS will give a more accurate location than the wifi triangulation on my laptop.

He already remotely erased the device.
He can't track it or play any sounds on it.

dillonm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 31, 2008
He filed a police report. I know it's gone forever, but man the things I'd do to be able to track that SOB down. He doesn't have insurance, just AppleCare+ thru the iPhone upgrade program. Is he now going to have to pay that phone off and buy a new one? Any chance Apple will supply a new one? I know that's probably a long shot

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It WAS a PLUS! if it was plain 7, he may not had hesitated to slip it into pocket even for a little while.

Applefan4515

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
He filed a police report. I know it's gone forever, but man the things I'd do to be able to track that SOB down. He doesn't have insurance, just AppleCare+ thru the iPhone upgrade program. Is he now going to have to pay that phone off and buy a new one? Any chance Apple will supply a new one? I know that's probably a long shot
It is a long shot. But have him go into an Apple Store and explain the situation, and see what his options are. Apple is notorious for having excellent customer service and taking care of their customers. The replaced my 6s plus when I broke the screen free of charge and I didn't have apple care.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

No, why would Apple supply him a new one? Apple was not the one that left the phone laying out in public for anyone to grab.
Off course he's going to have to pay that phone off.
[doublepost=1475113474][/doublepost]
The data might be gone but the phone should still be tied to his iCloud account... That means the phone should be able to get tracked on find my iPhone.

He erased it. You cannot track a phone that's been remotely wiped.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is the exact reason I will never understand Apple's stance on turning the phone off. If I have iCloud enabled it shouldn't be as easy as pushing or holding some buttons. Until this is remedied a smart thief is a successful thief.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
This is the exact reason I will never understand Apple's stance on turning the phone off. If I have iCloud enabled it shouldn't be as easy as pushing or holding some buttons. Until this is remedied a smart thief is a successful thief.

I hear you, but find my iphone is not really and anti theft or police stolen item recovery program.
It's more of a I cant remember what room I left my iphone at, let's look on the map and play a sound and try to look for it it type of thing.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I get it. I'm saying it should be and could be :)

I'm with you on that.
I have iGotYa that is an JB hack that disables the power button when the phone is locked to kinda help in a situation like that.
Apple should be able to have such option too in order to give people a chance to track and locate their stolen items.
But then again that could lead to questionable situations if confronting someone violent.
Tough call.
[doublepost=1475116053][/doublepost]
They'd still be able to put it in airplane mode from the lock screen.

Not if you disable the control center when device is locked :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.