Stolen iPhone...what can i do no mobile me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sal510, Apr 25, 2010.

1. macrumors member

:( gunpointed want to get it locked from the server so they wont access it damn i shouldve gotten mobile me
    any thing i can do?

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Did you have "find my iPhone" turned on?

3. thread starter macrumors member

i dont think so is that part of mobile me?

i have the serial number?

4. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yes. You need mobile me and you need to have it turned on. Otherwise, mobile me can't find your phone after the fact. Sorry.

5. macrumors 65816

ARF900

You can call AT & T and see if they can do anything?

6. thread starter macrumors member

im calling at&t right now to suspend the account
    i called apple they said to call tomorrow to the "8006762775" number and see what they can do

my brother works for at&t and he said at&t can track the number and shut it down or something like that

7. macrumors regular

Once the thief takes out your sim... it's pretty much gone forever.

8. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

At least you're safe...!

9. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Nothing you can do besides buy a new one.

10. thread starter macrumors member

yeah im glad im safe but you know an iphone is like a little mini computer its got access to your facebook, myspace, aim, twitter, at&t wireless app
    they can do alot with that
    plus my contacts with addresses and stuff

11. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Sorry about your loss, but it is only a phone. I'm glad that you or anyone who was with you wasn't hurt. As others have said, your phone is probably gone forever.

My advice is don't forget to change all of your passwords: mail, facebook, online banking, etc. to accounts that you may have accessed regularly from your iPhone.

12. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Next time try using a passcode lock on your iphone.
    Also theres a feature to Erase all Data after 10 failed passcode attempts.

13. thread starter macrumors member

i changed passwords to all emails and social networking sites

14. macrumors G3

Geckotek

By any chance was it connected to an Exchange server? You can wipe it from that as well (not just MobileMe.)

If not...your SOL. Lost mine in a cab last time I was in NYC. The ONLY thing I could do was wipe it remotely. Brand new 3GS was long gone. Whoever found it powered it off after my first call. Got wiped when they attempted to power it on the next day (presumaby w/ their own SIM in it.)

I'm in NYC again...made dang sure when I got out of the cab my phone was in my pocket!!

15. macrumors regular

Don't worry...you should be able to get it back from Gizmodo in about a month. Just write them a sternly worded letter. :D

16. macrumors 68040

It's ironic how people always want MobileME after they lose or get robbed of their iPhone.

Glad ya safe tho ... :)

17. macrumors 604

mcdj

[​IMG]

18. macrumors 6502a

I just had my car broken into Saturday morning. Luckly they only took my cd player and iPhone charger, and a couple other small items, and missed the 400.00 radar detector. They did it in my driveway! Anyhow, I was thinking what would happen if my phone had got stolen, so I immediatly downloaded ilocalis since I'm jailbroken. Seems to work very well.

19. macrumors member

Would MobileMe or ilocalis do anything if they remove the SIM card basically right when they're stealing it?

Services seem a little pointless if all the thief has to do is pull out the sim to not get caught.

Just curious as I never owned an iPhone before, going to be getting a 4G.

20. macrumors G3

Geckotek

They would have to remove the SIM card, then totally wipe it or delete the subscribed service (MobileMe or Exchange account). If they don't wipe it, the next time a sim card is placed in the phone your subscribed service would attempt to contact the server and receive the wipe command.

21. macrumors 6502

mobile me question

For those of you that have Mobile Me. Does that service provide the ability to not only erase all content but also disable the phone so if it is stolen/found someone can not use the phone at all?

22. macrumors 65816

read what mobileme does here http://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html

and other services can just erase your phone such as nuevasync

23. macrumors regular

bunit

Similar thing happened to me, was jumped walking down the road late at night and the only thing they took was my iPhone. Like another poster said "at least your safe". I changed all my passwords to all the programs I could such as Mail, iTunes, Facebook, Credit Cards, AT&T and anything the thief could have instant access to. I know it sucks, but just be thankful that it's not worse. It's a replaceable thing unlike your life! :(

24. macrumors member

Hopefully you will get a program like Wavesecure i use on SE X10, impossible to uninstall and as soon as the sim is removed it texts up to 10 friends and the phone will always send it's location to me whichever sim is in it.

It also locateable 24/7 and you can send messages to the would be thief explaining that the phine is useless and pop it into the police station then nothing will happen etc :)

You can also wipe it with any sim in it and backup contacts, messages etc :)

25. macrumors 68010

Sounds more like a virus...