Stolen iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by justinb1016, Nov 10, 2005.

1. justinb1016 macrumors newbie

Had my nano stolen last week. Don't really count on getting it back but I was wondering how I could recover the serial number that is on the back. I assume that there is some way to do this becuase I did register it and type it in when installing iTunes. I'd appreciate any help that you can give telling me how to retrieve the serial.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Do you have your receipt? Many businesses log the serial on your receipt. Do you still have the box, cause it's on there as well. Other than that you might just have to call Apple. If you registered it then they should have it on file. Hope everything works out.

jon

3. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I certainly wouldn't know where to begin with this, but definitely contact anyone you can to help this along. You never know, some dummie might try to hock it at a pawn shop. Chances are they wont, they'll just use it. Report it to the police so that when you do get the serial # you MAY have a chance at recouping your losses. By the way, I am so sorry to hear about this. Such thievery makes you almost want to lose faith in all that is good. (yeah, I'm corny;) )

4. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

If it was truly stolen then you may get lucky and it be covered in your house insurance. (that's ow it works in the UK if you have comprehensive home insurance anyhow).

6. applegirl macrumors regular

applegirl

Stolen iPod

It works the same in the US, the only problem is that your insurance rates will suffer when you make a claim (probably dependent on the value of the item stolen)...you have to decide if it's worth it.

Also, your best bet is to probably contact Apple and get the SN from them; they'll have a record of it.

A similar thing happened to me relatively recently, but I was an idiot and left it somewhere. When I called around to the places that I'd been, nobody had seen it, now a nice 40GB iPod is in someone's pocket. Hope they're enjoying it as much as I did.

7. justinb1016 thread starter macrumors newbie

found the box and the serial number, going to see if the credit card insurance covers the loss. I've seen something like that before.

8. lopresmb macrumors 6502

get a new one (insurance or otherwise) then wait for a SN hit, the HUNT THAT SUCKA DOWN....HAHAHA

oh no wait, sorry dude, that sucks...

9. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Sorry to hear that. I couldn't live a day without my iPod.(I use it constantly. heh, i'm using it now :eek:)

Call Apple, have them look for that s/n being registered.. if it's registered under that s/n apple can track 'em down. Otherwise... that sucks man.

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Come on now, if you stole an iPod would you register it? Didn't think so. He will never see that iPod again.

jon

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Most people's deductibles are probably lower than the cost of an iPod.

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I've been wondering, if someone were to steal my iMac, and then connect to the internet wherever they lived, is it possible to track it down if I had the serial # (through like an IP or something)?

13. herksoc19 macrumors newbie

hey

hey i had my ipod stolen as well.....i have noooo clue what to do to find it or where to start....have any help for me???....also how is your search going??

14. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

Nope, not without software installed by you for that purpose, like Lo-Jack or whatever it's called. Intel tried to implement a software serial key several years ago which would, among other things, make locating a specific computer on the internet easier. It was VERY poorly received by customers and privacy experts.

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Apparently the other week (I read this on ifoapplestore), some guy who'd had his iPod nicked a few months ago, got an email from Apple to tell him that it had been repaired and to and pick it up at the local Apple store. The thief had taken it in because it was 'hot' (you're not half kidding) and asked for it to be fixed. Sadly, the thief made off with a replacement before the guy got there but as a happy ending, Apple have helped him out with a new one.

16. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I just had my Nano stolen this morning. It was in the glove compartment connected to my stereo. They took the whole thing. Filed a police report. A crime scene team is on the way to take fingerprints. I didn't think they did that for routine stuff like this but the officer said they do get lucky on occasion and find the thief in their database. They also got my PSP in the back seat. I'm really depressed about it but there's nothing I can do. Hope they catch the thief.

Edit: Crime scene people got some prints. I also found some bloody fingerprints on some papers I had in the glove compartment and drops of blood smeared here and there. It's too much to hope for that I'll ever get my stuff back but at least I have the satisfaction of knowing he got a nasty cut for his trouble!

Attached Files:

17. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

I got my PSP lifted a few months ago... I feel your pain man. Having the serial number will help A LOT. You can have the pawn shops in the area blacklist it.

18. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

Yeah getting cut up would make me happy as well.. :D

19. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

DON'T MESS FOO. WE AIN'T CUTTAS HERE.

On another note, I'm white.

Sorry to hear about the ipod :(. Stupid people do stupid things like stealing.

20. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

I wish they made a car the can detect when someone is breaking into it, and then act accordingly. Like cutting the hands off the robber, or locking him inside the car and then filling itself with poison gas. Just something to make them think twice about breaking in again.

21. cgratti macrumors 6502a

cgratti

Lo-Jack:

LoJack for Laptops is a recovery service that enables law enforcement to recover stolen laptops. When your laptop is protected with this service, software installed on your laptop works behind the scenes to silently and securely contact our Monitoring Center, and if stolen, report its location using any Internet connection.

When your laptop is stolen, our Recovery Team tracks its location and partners with local law enforcement to recover and return your laptop to you. LoJack for Laptops is the ultimate tool for mobile theft protection!

22. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

They acutally have something like that. It's a system that floods the car with smoke, making it impossible to drive and creating a lot of attention. The smoke is not toxic or anything, I think it's that stuff they use at rock concerts. I saw it on some news program a couple of years ago.

As for cuting hands off, that may be going a little too far but a friend told me of a guy who was tired of getting ripped off and installed some razors under the dash or something, so that when they reach under and rip out the dash to get the stereo they get severely cut. It didn't work, the next time he got ripped off the thief just left a bloody mess inside his car for him to clean up and took the stereo anyway.

23. croshtique macrumors 6502

A neat way to find the serial number of your iPod if you've lost/chucked out the receipt/box is to go to iTunes > Preferences > iPod and click on the text that says "No iPod connected". It will then display the serial number of the last iPod plugged in.

24. wezy904 macrumors newbie

stolen ipod

My 5G ipod was stolen yesterday. I would like to report it to apple. I have the serial number and the confirmation from apple when it was registered. Can someone who has experience with this sort of thing provide me the apple email I should forward this to? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm still hopeful it may be recovered.

Thanks.

25. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unfortunately, pretty much the only thing you can do is report it to your local authorities.

Link