stolen iPod :(

Discussion in 'Community' started by MrSugar, Nov 16, 2004.

1. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Hey guys,

About a week and half ago I bought a new 40 gig iPod, got a brand new iSkin case for it. Then this past week at work it was stolen off my desk, totally gone no sign of it at all. I was pretty mad for a while but realized it wasn't doing me any good.

So I was just hoping to get some guidance, maybe here if anyone else has any horror stories like this. Maybe get some advice on what I should do?

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

Sorry man, that really sucks. What kind of place do you work at? Are there a lot of people? Does everyone know to be on the lookout for it?

I've never had anything stolen, but I did misplace my Canon digital camera on a bus once. I realized this and caught up with the bus about 30 minutes later, sure that my new, 2.1MP camera was gone (2.1MP was really cool for a camera back then -- this was a few years ago). To my great surprise, another passenger had picked up the camera and turned it in to the driver. I really expected it to be gone.

So, not to get your hopes up, but there's always a chance it could turn up. Since your iPod was stolen, I guess it's more unlikely that you're getting it back, but maybe one of your co-workers saw something, or perhaps they'd be willing to keep an eye out for you.

3. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Yeah, the company I work at is pretty tight nit. That's why I didn't mind leaving it on my desk for a few minutes. After I noticed it was gone the company was paged, told to look out for it. After about 5 days now nothing has turned up.

4. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

My 3 week old powerbook was stolen from my apartment. The guy ran away when I got home, called the cops and gave out description. It's been a couple of months and the cops have nothing. I don't think they even bothered with processing the finger prints. :mad:

5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Any idea who it might have been?

I'd say the coolest thing to do would be to plant an ink-spraying decoy iPod on your desk and wait to see who ends up with bright green hands that day.

6. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sorry, but finger printing probably would have done nothing for "petty" theft. not everyone's finger printed, you know...? and for theft, i don't think finger printing is even an option - it's time/effort consuming. i'm not saying your powerbook is a "petty" item but i think police has more "important" things to work on. these tv shows on investigations must have people thinking that every crime is pursued with all available means. such isn't the case. have you seen big lebowski? remember the scene when the dude asks if the police got people working on locating his car and he basically gets laughed at? many, many things are stolen on a daily basis - and they don't bother finger printing most of them.

in any case, sorry to hear about your powerbook... :( (it must have sucked, i feel bad for you, but you also shouldn't have misplaced expectations on what the police will do for you.)

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Sorry for your woes, would it be good to have a way for apple to shut it down, or track it when plugged it to the store?
    Big brother, but maybe worthit, or as an option.
    Haven't gotten an ipod yet, I have a hard time keeping up with my keys.

8. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

He didn't just steal one laptop. It's just what I mentioned. But still, yes it would go under petty theft. The cops did come by and take finger prints, just no notice on when they're going to process it. I haven't really placed any expectations on the police, especially when the detective on my case went on vacation two days later of my robbery.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

See I told you guys painting them pink will keep other guys from stealing them from you.

Of course you do have to take the verbal abuse, and punches from the drunk rednecks at the bar -- but they won't steal it and use it.

10. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Thieves are some of the worst scum in the world. I hope you catch your iPod thief and kick the living **** out of him. :mad:

11. Hitch macrumors newbie

Letf my 4G iPod on Plane

I had little time between connections and left my iPod on the back seat pocket of the plane. My name, address & phone number were on it but I was never contacted.

:(

12. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Of course not it's an iPod. Not enough good people in the world (the person was probably a PC user).

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

My iPod fell out of my pocket in front of the library. It had my name and e-mail address on the back. Somebody found it, looked me up in the directory, and sent me an instant message to tell me that he had found it. Also, when I forgot my powerbook (only a few months old) at the shuttle stop last year, someone turned it into the cops. There are good people left in the world.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

If you suffer the early demise of an item, check your charge card policies.

Some premium cards have a "purchase protection" policy which covers you for theft or breakage of a newly purchased product within the first 30 60 or 90 days depending on the policy.

Another good reason to only pay by credit card.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

15. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

But not enough. :(
    I have returned item to people many times. :)

16. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Check the pawn shops....

Oh man, sorry about your luck. That sucks. Realistically you will not get it back; it's probably already been sold for $40 worth of crack.

Regardless, make sure you file a report with your local police agency ASAP. Include the serial number as well as the model number (mine's M9245LL) so that it can be added to the stolen property file under both numbers. Then alert ALL your local iPod dealers and pawn shops about it, and check the pawn shops every day for the next week.

I would also post something on your company's email noting the theft, and requesting that it be returned no-questions-asked. Chances are the guilty party experienced a momentary lapse of reason and they now feel awful about it. Or, maybe somebody's kid was visting and swiped it -- and now daddy will think to ask him where he got his new toy.

I agree with the previous poster -- all my major purchases are put on my credit card. Not only do I get automatic theft coverage and an extended warranty, but I've now got enough bonus points to get a free iPod mini.

PS- In petty property crimes, fingerprinting is mainly used to rule OUT named suspects, not to compile a list of possible suspects. If your iPod WAS to be returned, and if there WAS a fingerprint on the shiny metal backing, and if you were CERTAIN that Bob from Accounting took it, and IF Bob had been fingerprinted before, you MIGHT make a case for the police to do a print comparison. But it might take weeks to get the results.

17. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Try and get your company to buy you a new one :cool:

hope for the best man.

18. AnewMac macrumors regular

Laser engraved

That is one reason why I had mine laser engraved. I guess they could always scratch it off, but I thought it might help in the long run. They should make an iPod chain that attaches to your pants. Oh well, I lost my cell phone last week. I am sure someone is calling Guatemala at this moment.

19. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

First thing you should do is contact AppleCare technical support and report the iPod missing. This is easy to do if you've already registered it. If not, you can do so using the serial number (if you still have the box).

This essentially opens a "case" in AppleCare, making a note that the iPod has been stolen. If the thief goes to an Apple Store because the iPod's battery isn't charging or the drive is failing (two common issues), the Genius Bar techs will find the case when opening the notes for that particular iPod.

20. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I have been hearing many stories of stolen iPods. For example in the city where I reside some teens are targeting other teens with iPods and can pick them out of a crowd with the WHITE earplugs. <-- as easy target.

At times I wonder if it is wise for Apple to have white earplugs with its iPod, maybe making it grey would be better than white since it stands out more. This is really a 50/50 reasoning.

Its really tough for those who loose something that cost regardless if its hardware, data or time put into something.

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

21. maya macrumors 68040

maya

What if the person(s) who stole the iPod sells it to someone else?

Catching a thief is not easy. And usually stealing an iPod means one thing to sell it.

22. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I had my iPod stolen at school a couple of years back (it was a 2G 10 gig). It was irritating and I knew who had done it but couldn't prove it. Since it was during a P.E. class I had put it in the valuables box and it had STILL managed to get stolen!

My father wrote a letter to the principal who ended up buying me a 3G 10 gig. :)

23. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You were well compensated. :)

24. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Well, I had given up on catching the thief. I was more concerned with him recovering the iPod, which would happen if it was taken into an Apple Store for service. Having worked for Apple Retail, I can tell you that we saw a few lost or stolen iPods come through the Genius Bar.

As a side note, I actually doubt that the thief stole this iPod to sell it. Being that the iPod was stolen from an office as opposed to a car break-in or the like, I think it's plausible that the thief plans to use it. The iPod is very popular right now and I'm betting that jealousy is more the culprit than greed.

25. maya macrumors 68040

maya

There is still no way to tell if someone stole it, even if the records on file says so. You are going to accuse someone without PROOF that they actually did it and have them on camera red handed.

Is there a security camera that your company has that you could view to see who has taken your iPod. If so that would help you a lot. If not, you learned an expensive lesson. At least someone didn't beat you up for it, as some teenagers here in my city do other teens with iPods.

We all make mistakes.