Stolen Laptop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by insomniac321123, Dec 10, 2006.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Not for sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes

My laptop got stolen last thursday. What can i do besides the police and my insurance company? Sould I call apple? ANy advice on the situation would be great.

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Call Apple w/ your Serial # and they can flag it so if the computer is taken into service it will come up as stolen.

Sorry to hear about it. :(

Kevin

3. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. On the upside, I am getting a brand new 2.33 mbp and I had most of my data backed up.

4. Graeme A macrumors 6502

Graeme A

Not much you can do if you didn't keep a password on the login... That will sometimes stump them enough to avoid getting your personal data stolen.

When you buy a replacement from the insurance money, buy a copy of Lo-Jack. It should at least render the machine useless to the thief and report the IP address to authorities which might catch the git.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Sorry to hear about you laptop being stolen insomniac321123. :(

Both are good things, way to focus on the positive. :)

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Assume that anything you have saved on the computer, including credit card accounts, email accounts, passwords, everything is accessible to the thieves. Anything you filled into online forms may be present on the drive.

Change all of your passwords, PINs, consider getting new charge cards just as if you had lost your wallet. Monitor your online accounts to see if they have been changed without your sayso.

Stealing one computer is one thing; the opportinity to hijack an eBay account and 'sell' tens of thousands of dollars worth is quite another, to a savvy thief. Or to drain a PayPal account and send off as much money as you linked charge card will stand.

8. coastertux macrumors regular

I run Undercover and have heard it recommended over LoJack.

9. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Just read about it. Very neat! Bookmarked :). Thanks!

10. Neonguy macrumors 6502

Would smart thier would reformat the hard drive anyway. Sometime I get fews people try sell me stolen laptop, but too bad it isn't a Mac. I would Zero Format the data and re-install Windows.

But I'm curious how it got stolen? Was it left at a office or a work place and you went somewhere? Would be freaky to know if they actually go in your house and stole it.

11. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I am a college student. It was stolen at night while both I and my room mate were asleep in the room. The doors are easy enough to card open. So... The first thing i will buy for my new laptop is a security lock.

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Do you have room insurance? It may cover it. My parents got it in case my **** gets stolen. Sucks that it happened, hope you can get it back, or at least get money!

13. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yah, I Have insurance. Ill get $2500 from insurance for a new one.

14. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Phew... glad you're receiving money for it :)
    At least you're getting paid back, just remember, put a new lock on the dorm room and some landmines in the hallway :) should be fine!

I personally would go Vigilante if someone stole my baby... especially in my case where probably everything I own was paid by my hard-earned money, I hate when people steal from other people in similar or even lower economical status, If you want to steal from someone go to Walmart or some crap and eat twinkies without paying... at least you're not hurting anyone :D eheh.

15. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

I used obicules Undercover on both my last iBook and iMac, though I never had to use it.

By all counts, it looked like a solid piece of software, and the one-time fee was really appealing, instead of a yearly fee like others charge.

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

A good thing to be sure. :D

I liked that too, I am more likely to be willing to a pay a one time, flat fee then have to pay for a service like that monthly.

17. cardiac dave macrumors regular

cardiac dave

Smart User would follow Orbicule's recomendation to:
    -do the firmware edit to password-protect the laptop and make it unbootable from the DVD drive.
    -password protect your user account
    -set up an 'other' account (non-admin) to allow the thief to use the laptop, while Undercover tracks them.

18. Neonguy macrumors 6502

In that case, swap out the Hard Driver for another one. hehe.

19. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

How can I go about deauthorizing the computer for iTunes? I want to make this as difficult for them as possible.

20. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

You can deauthorize all computers once a year.
    http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/musicstore/authorization/
    Scroll down to deauthorize all computers. You'll have to login to iTunes account on another computer.