Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KD7IWP

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 8, 2004
American living in Canada
Well, at college my suitemates apparently don't lock their door... so even though I had a Kensington lock on my pbook and had my door locked, I get screwed because of my suitemates. Someone came through their door and into my room, took my pbook and my iPod as well. Sadly, all my photos and homework for the last few years were only backed up on my ipod. I have a Lacie HDD that came two days after everything was stolen, so it was shipping at the time, meaning I have nothing backed up :( I'm sad. Oh well. Insurance covered it luckily and I'm getting a 5G ipod and Macbook. There are bad people around. Oh, and the suitemates lost nothing by the way, since they had their laptops with them.

EHUnlucky7x9@ao

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2006
New Jersey
People in the world these days.... no respect. If it was me, i'd burn the place down. But i'm not going to advise that since it will be punishable by law. But stuff like that makes me furious.

I guess that goes to show for laptop owners... keep it with u like your wallet at all times. I went to the mall....and forgot I had my Powerbook with me... i had no bag or case or anything.... i still carried the laptop with me around the mall. :-D Luckily, there was an Apple Store there, so people thought I may have "gotten my PB fixed" LoL

TMA

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2003
England
Winstonp said:
that's a realy shame. Contact apple, they will flag your serial number

I don't think Apple can do anything. They certainly don't 'flag up' serial numbers for stolen items, since computers can often change hands at least once in their life time.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
This is a good reason to write down your serial number AND your MAC addresses of both your en0 (wired ethernet NIC) and en1 (wireless card) to give to the police.

Sorry, that sucks.

At least you had insurance, you'd be surprised how many people don't.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
This sort of thing should probably covered by your suitemates' insurance, since it was their negligence that allowed the theft to occur.

I don't know how insurance works in Canada, but if you were in the US, your company would likely cancel your policy or double your premium.

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
ieani said:
There is computer insurance?

I would imagine the home owners insurance policy of his parent's home covered the stolen powerbook and iPod. I know when i was in a dorm, I was covered by it, so I had no need to get any additional insurance for my dorm room.

cnakeitaro

edit - oh btw, congrats on your new MacBook >.>

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Sorry to hear that as i had one stolen back in 2005. The insurance company didn't want the serial numbers as they said it didn't really matter as most never get found :confused: Homeowners ins. covered mine but I'm still in talks with the school about what happened.
People just don't care at times for others belongings anymore it seems.

TMA
I don't think Apple can do anything. They certainly don't 'flag up' serial numbers for stolen items, since computers can often change hands at least once in their life time.

Your right, as with mine all I had was my first receipt/# for my iBook (had it replaced 10 days after I bought it because of a bad video card). So if I would have given that # some poor soul would have gotten in trouble for nothing at all and I would have looked like an @ss.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
TMA said:
they actually do alot considering the circumstances. they DO flag serial numbers then once a machine comes in for service anywhere. the service tech (which i was for 3-4 months) has to enter the serial number into the system (apple GSX) then he if it is flagged we will be notified and we will hold the machine for the rightful owner.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
That's terrible. :mad:

Go hunt for it. Ask people who they saw out and about at the time it was stolen, ask about in general. Suspect everyone.

It was probably some wee prick who knew exactly what he wanted.

zolaman

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2006
Wow. Now I'm paranoid about my soon to come macbook. I've used a laptop before in undergrad and never lost anything but maybe... you never know, huh?

So living in an apartment, I don't believe I have any homeowner's insurance but that safeware insurance seems like a pretty good bet. Would getting insurance be better than AppleCare? Or do they cover very different things...

cnakeitaro

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Virginia Beach
zolaman said:
Wow. Now I'm paranoid about my soon to come macbook. I've used a laptop before in undergrad and never lost anything but maybe... you never know, huh?

So living in an apartment, I don't believe I have any homeowner's insurance but that safeware insurance seems like a pretty good bet. Would getting insurance be better than AppleCare? Or do they cover very different things...

If you still live with your parent's, but moved on campus to a dormitory, you should be covered with home owners. But I really wouldn't worry that much, the way my dorm room was setup, was so that I could lock the door to my suitemates room. We were connected via bathroom.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2006
cnakeitaro said:
I would imagine the home owners insurance policy of his parent's home covered the stolen powerbook and iPod. I know when i was in a dorm, I was covered by it, so I had no need to get any additional insurance for my dorm room.

cnakeitaro

edit - oh btw, congrats on your new MacBook >.>
No it doesn't. You need renters insurance. My stuff got jacked last year. I lost my pc tower then I bought a mac mini.

Laser47

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2004
Maryland
That really sucks, The PB is one thing but your data cannot be replaced. Kinda ironic though that your external HD came after the fact. If that happened to me I would..... I seriously don't know what I would do, but it wont be pretty:mad: .

BTW: how did they remove the lock from your PB?
Good luck, and I hope the thief gets caught.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
sk1985 said:
No it doesn't. You need renters insurance. My stuff got jacked last year. I lost my pc tower then I bought a mac mini.

Actually, yes it does. Generally, if you're living in campus housing, you are covered by your parents' insurance because your permanent residence is still considered to be with your parents. If you live off-campus, then you need renter's insurance because you are considered to be independent of your parents.

hoyboy9

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2004
KD7IWP said:
so even though I had a Kensington lock on my pbook and had my door locked, I get screwed because of my suitemates.

What I'm interested to know is how they got through the lock! Can you tell us what kind of lock it was, so we know not to buy it?

By the way, I totally know where you're coming from with the suitemates. I had suitemates like this last year. They kept both of their laptops completely unlocked right on their desks with their outer door unlocked. Whenever I left my room, I always locked the adjoining bathroom door and my outer door to protect my room.

I sometimes hoped that their stuff would get stolen so they would be taught a lesson.

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
The laptop locks have always been easy to get around. The most they really do is slow people down and they are going to make it a little harder. In the area like a dorm room they have the extra time to take care of them and not be seen by others doing it.

It a good thing to have but they are not going to stop a thief in the end. I will say it sucks that you got screwed like that.
Something you can try doing with you next laptop is never leave it out in the open but put it out of sight when not using it. My laptop when I am not using it is normally in it bag store either by my desk or in my closest (I have a desktop I use in my room for the most part).
Last good luck with getting everything taken care of and best of luck in school.

iSaint

macrumors 603
Does anyone take advantage of your ISP's storage allotment for your account? My cable ISP gives me space to make a web site, so I back up my documents folder (650k worth of stuff) there, and at my university space as well. At least I'll have that! Nowhere to put my iTunes library, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.