Stolen Powerbook...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vwcruisn, Jun 25, 2003.

1. vwcruisn macrumors regular

I just got a very sad phone call from a friend who just had his new 12" powerbook stolen from his car =(

Does anyone know if theres anyway at all to track a stolen notebook? If the theif were to sign online.. can the IP be tracked or anything? I told him I would ask around to see if there is anything that can be done.. I have no experience at all with this issue and was hoping someone might shed some light. I have a bad feeling he is SOL tho =(

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

there used to be a program you could install from a private company...i don't remember what it was called or who it was from, but the program would send a signal if the computer was connected to the internet with valid information to the company which would then help you track down your theif...

but NOW, your friend is pretty much SOL

3. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

There was an article somewhere about stolen laptops. Apparently the thiefs or the people they sold the computer to wanted to buy Apple's applecare plan. To do this they had to register the laptop. when apple noticed someone trying to buy applecare for a stolen laptop they called the police. Hopefully your friend registered the computer when he bought it. Maybe he can call apple just to let them know his was stolen. maybe down the road someone will try to register his laptop.

I would keep an eye out for any ebay, epier or yahoo auctions for that kind of laptop. Maybe one day they will try to sell it online.

4. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

How does one register one's laptop with Apple? Is it that stuff from when you first start up your computer?

5. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

It's called LapCop. I don't remember where to get it.

6. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

AH that's what it is...you can get it HERE. it's shareware...$15 USD for a single user license, and $25 for a household license.

here's what the developer says it does: