Stolen Sidekick Revenge

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lexus, Jun 7, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Wow, I didn't realize until I got to the bottom of the page that today IS June 7, and this is unfolding right now!

"... news as it happens!"

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh it's a phone..... I thought somebody had been out stealing these guys...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Etc....

4. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hah. quite entertaining. thanks for helping me kill time at work!

5. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

That is pretty cool. I like the high road he's attempting to take. Haven't had a phone lost/stolen at Christmas, I understand the frustration only too well.

And since its going on right now...how will I get any work done today? This is far more interesting than the OJ Simpson low speed chase a few years back.

6. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

hmm she's kinda cute...of course the big guy at her place would make me have second thoughts about going over there...

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I actually had the exact opposite experience once, when I lost my cell phone. Apparently I put it down on the roof of my car, and drove off without realizing it was still there. It stayed on while I was navigating the suburban jungle, but it must have finally rolled off when I accelerated onto the freeway onramp. A trucker apparently found it on the side of the road, and phoned the last person to have called me (a lady I hardly know, who had happened to call inquiring about something). She in turn dialed *69 and left me a voice message on the phone voicemail.

I don't know if this has ever happened to you, but it's quite disorienting when it happens. Of course I didn't know about any of the preceding, so all I got was a voice mail from this lady I spoke to recently saying "Hey, your phone was found, give me a call". At first I thought it was an extraordinary coincidence that SHE had found my phone.

Anyway, the trucker lives out of town and although we tried to hook up 2 or 3 times to get my phone back, I eventually decided it wasn't worth the hassle. It was an older Nokia 5190 and by this time there were lots of neat new phones out. I called my cell provider and they were nice enough to send me a new phone at low cost, so this was my excuse to upgrade.

Somewhere out there in rural Canada-land, a trucker has a slightly scratched phone with my compliments.

8. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

watch out if you click on the link from his last post. some people decided to put on some nasty images.

[​IMG]

but the whole thing is funny. i'm already checking this ever hour or so to see what happens.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

dear god........ my eyes!

10. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

11. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

What nasty images?

12. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I would give back teh phone if it everf happend to me, i mean its not worth it and doing something nice would make you feel better then taking the damn thing.

*wish for a rotten egg to hit the girls face*

13. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Stupid stealing peasants.got what they deserved.

14. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Oh how friggin awesome! Revenge of the nerds is right. I bet they never thought for a second someone could find them out like that. I wouldnt have known, but then again I would have tried to return the sidekick. This is gonna be fun and liven up my wednesday.

15. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

Looks like its going to spread to Thursday. It been quiet for a while...

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

You know, I'm not sure I agree with what this guy is doing. I mean this isn't like laptop guy who was intentionally ripped off via e-bay.

We're talking about a teenager who found a phone an decided to keep it, when confronted by the owner she reacted how many teenagers might, with a resounding "**** you!"

There's a few things about this that don't sit right with me:
    1) The owner lost the phone in a cab, the girl found it there, it's not like she broke into a car or a home to get the phone
    2) We're only getting one side of the story here, for all we know the guy's first message to the phone was "give me back my friends ****ing phone!"

I mean if the phone had been stolen from a parked car, or a house I might agree with this. But because a teenager found the phone and made the wrong decision this guy is making a spectacle out of her. Did no one else on the internet ever do something stupid as a teenager that they would prefer wasn't broadcast to the world?

I for one almost got arrested stealing a plastic traffic pylon, stupid yes, but as stated before, teenagers do stupid things occasionally.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Wow they are getting blasted on the net...photos/video of them shaking their butts.....thats what you get for stealing...those are kids man!

Bless

18. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Assuming that all of the updates are accurate and truthful I think the culprits are getting what they deserve. They've been given so many chances to give the phone back and have rejected them each time. Sheesh. Don't come whining about it if you get put on public display afterwards. :rolleyes:

19. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

I dont think it matters HOW the person got the phone. The fact is, it not hers and the real owner knows she has it and wants it back. She has refused. Thats stealing no matter how you look at it.

Even if he/she did say "gimme back the ******* phone", its still stealing to not give it back. They can stop this humiliation instantly by just giving the darn thing back.

Yes, teenagers do pretty stupid things. Well, adults do pretty stupid things too, but you've got to know when you have been bested and call it quits.

20. jdechko macrumors 68040

As of now, it's not really that she took the phone and made the wrong decision not to attempt to give it back. It's that she's been given the opportunity to make the right decision and still refuses to do the right thing. I think that she deserves the humiliation, and I think this guy is doing something justifiable.

21. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I dunno, it still seems to me that we have an adult, with lots of technical experience bullying a teenager around. That says a lot for his maturity.

22. Johnny Rico macrumors 6502

23. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

24. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Youth should not be an excuse for stupid behavior.

25. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If the girl did take his cell phone and has been asked to return it, if she has any kind of decency about her, she should return it.

I may not condone how the victim has gone about recovering it, but if he's managed to generate those kinds of numbers in responses in a 48 hour period, it speaks well of his competency.

I think this scenario could serve as a microcosm of how frustrated ripped off people feel who have been blown off and disappointed with conventional routes (call 911, call police, file reports, wait......nothing) and decide to take matters in to their own hands. It may give some momentary sense of being proactive rather than feeling helpless, but it's also concerning to think of a society full of internet vigilantes out there.

Note: Then there's the other thing. Own up to your own stupidity (i.e. don't leave your cell phone in a cab and expect to see it again.)